PDA

View Full Version : opinions on on wraps and padded slings

Heather Micaela
04-25-2006, 01:55 PM
frist of my favortive baby carrier will pribably always be an unpadded ring sling.

But I want a padded sling for the newborn cradle-carry stage. Which one do find the best of the padded slings?

Also I learned how to use a wrap :tu and like that too - but do you prefer stretchy or non stretchy and what on earth do you call them anyway?

mommy2abigail
04-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Wraps are awesome, I had a Moby Wrap for dd until she was six months she practically lived in it. It is stretchy. Now we use anon-stretchy one that i made out of linen. For newborns, I'd recommend stretchy, they are just sooo soft and snuggly around baby's skin. When they get heavier, its better to have a woven (non-stretchy) one, to hold their wieght better. That being said, you can easily make awrap out of 5-6 yards of what ever fabric you like. Just hem the edges, and taper the ends. HTH!

fancifulfrog
05-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I second using a stretch wrap for the babes and as they get older a NON-stretch is best.

attachedmomtofour
05-15-2006, 09:18 AM
HOw wide does the fabric need to be to make a wrap?

jmh1013
05-15-2006, 09:29 AM
The one I made was 20 inches wide by 5 yards long. I just cut it to that length, and then went to the moby site to get the directions on how to use it. It only cost be $10 for the material, and it made 3 wraps!!!

fancifulfrog
05-15-2006, 09:53 AM
I personally bought 5 yards of 60" fabric. Cut it in half and made two. There are many ways to do it.

attachedmomtofour
05-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Heather - a belated response to your ring sling question. I have an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder which is now about 5 years old. Although it is bulky due to the padding, it as by far my favorite sling to nurse in when my third dc was teeny. I added an unpadded Maya Wrap to my collection when she was about 6 months old. Between those two slings, she nursed in comfortably in both.

I just splurged and purchased a natural brown indio didymos wrap to use (in addition to my OTSHB, MW and rebozo) with our new baby who is due in late Aug. I went with the woven wrap because I figured I would be using the OTSBH most of the time while the baby is a newborn. Not to mention, I live in AZ, and I think the wrap might be a bit too hot until Oct. or so.

A great resource is www.thebabywearer.com.

Good luck with your search!