PDA

View Full Version : Nursing in a pouch?

BornFreeBaby
04-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Do any of you successfully nurse in a pouch?

I think that I've realized that one of my (hotsling) pouches keeps dd2 very tight and high up, and is impossible to nurse in, but I love how snug she is in it. Doesn't it have to be a bit looser to get your boob into it? Any link instructions for this?

brown eyed girl
04-13-2006, 07:07 AM
never. to get a pouch loose enough to nurse in, I can't nurse hands free, and baby's weight is swinging around my hips. When I wear a pouch my back and neck are KILLING me in less than 10 minutes. To get a pouch tight enough to carry baby high enough to not hurt my back, there is no way I can nurse in it and baby usually complains that it's cutting into the back of her legs.

I can only nurse in a Mayawrap sling. Nothing else. I'm 5'2 1/2" tall and wear a size 6, but my legs are long so my torso is short and I'm a DDD cup (G after birth)... so maybe it is all about my body shape?

hink4687
04-13-2006, 12:42 PM
I've been able to but the pouches I have that work the best for this are pretty stretchy (they kinda feel like t-shirt material) so I just pull down the back side that normall covers the breast when its time to nurse. Does that make sense?

Iarwain
04-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I've done it but only with an older baby who could basically do it himself. I put him across the pouch instead of in the little pocket. It was awkward and a bit uncomfortable but we managed it. My pouch doesn't have a very deep curve to it so maybe that helped.

BornFreeBaby
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
I've been able to but the pouches I have that work the best for this are pretty stretchy (they kinda feel like t-shirt material) so I just pull down the back side that normall covers the breast when its time to nurse. Does that make sense?

Yes, it does. I was able to get my boob around, but dd was wriggling and smushed and upset the whole time. So I may have to try the maya wrap, but honestly I think the pouches look way cooler... but functionality takes precedent here!

brown eyed girl
04-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Well yeah-- in a pouch, if I had baby sitting upright on my hip, she could sidle up to the boob and manage to get it into her mouth. But her face would get squished in, I'd have to hold the boob sort of for her, and it was ALL hanging out-- nothing modest about it AT ALL... and not real comfy for baby or mommy.

But in the sling, i just loosen by pulling up on the rings, baby can get into ANY position and latch on, then pull the tail to tight it back up so that it fits her and me like a glove and supports her.... and all the while my exposed boob is completely under the wrap, and there's also the tail to use as backup coverage.