PDA

View Full Version : Need formal/fancy sling options

expatmom
04-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I am going to be in a wedding very shortly after having my baby (call me crazy!). I am the matron of honor for my very dear only cousin. It is a very important day for me to be a part of.

Anyways, she is pretty relaxed about me attending to the baby as needed throughout the day & has given me free hand to modify/arrange for whatever I need to make the dress work for me. I'm a little worried about leaking breasts, so I've been on the lookout for a nice shawl or something to cover up just in case.

Long story short, I realized what probably would work best is a semi coordinating fancy sling. My dress will be blue silk charmeuse. I was thinking a silk type sling might be quite nice. I think dh will hold the baby during the actual ceremony, but then I could wear the baby for the rest of the day. Has anyone ever used a silk sling? Are they too slippery? Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not a huge fan of ring slings. I'm more of a less-is-more gal & don't like too much extra fabric hanging down. I did find a blue silk patterned pouch on www.mammasmilk. com. Has anyone ever used one of their slings?

I just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas?!

mamaKristin
04-02-2006, 04:36 PM
I know when I replaced my sling in Dec. 04, DH found silk slings at a store on W4th in Vancouver. They were expensive, but really gorgeous. Ring slings, but not lots of hanging fabric. I bet if you knew someone crafty they could make one. Is your bridesmaid dress being made for you? Then you could get matching fabric...hmmm...that could be really nice actually. I guess what I'm saying is that I think a silk sling would be lovely. My main sling is plain black, which is nice, but it's cotton and attracts lots of 'fluffies' that I'm sure you wouldn't get with silk.

MarynMunchkins
04-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Do you sew at all? Pouches are *really* easy to make. :) You could easy find some coordinating fabric.

InglesideMomma
04-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Do you sew at all? Pouches are *really* easy to make. :) You could easy find some coordinating fabric.

Do you like that fabric of the dress? Is it something you would like to have a pouch in? Normally most dress shops can order a "wrap" to go with the dress in the same fabric. See if you can order one, and you can make a pouch out of that, if you sew. If not, I'd be more than happy to help you, and I'm sure there are pleny of other mommas here who could as well. I have a silk pouch I made for myself, and I LOVE it! I don't use it every day, but I feel so gorgeous when I do!

expatmom
04-03-2006, 06:48 AM
I know when I replaced my sling in Dec. 04, DH found silk slings at a store on W4th in Vancouver.

Do you know which store? The wedding is in Vancouver, so that might be an option. :think

I do sew & have debated making my own pouch. I'll check out if I can get a fabric swatch ahead of time, mailed to me here. :think The problem is that the wedding is in Vancouver & the dresses are being rush made somewhere in the USA. I'm going to work on that.....

Normally most dress shops can order a "wrap" to go with the dress in the same fabric. See if you can order one, and you can make a pouch out of that, if you sew. I have a silk pouch I made for myself, and I LOVE it! I don't use it every day, but I feel so gorgeous when I do!

I never thought about ordering the exact same fabric. I wonder if that would be too monochromatic. :think More to think about.

Is your pouch lined with something? I can't remember if the mammasmilk one is lined. I'll have to go back to check.

mamaKristin
04-03-2006, 08:00 AM
The store was Crocodile on W4th. I just checked their website, but they don't have slings listed. Doesn't mean they don't have them, but they may have stopped carrying them. :shrug

If you could get a fabric swatch, you could probably find a nice, complimentary fabric to work with. Could be really nice.

Kiddie Cradles
04-03-2006, 09:31 AM
I sew ring slings and could help you out if you need it. But honestly I haven't sewn with silk!

InglesideMomma
04-03-2006, 01:59 PM
I never thought about ordering the exact same fabric. I wonder if that would be too monochromatic. More to think about.

Is your pouch lined with something? I can't remember if the mammasmilk one is lined. I'll have to go back to check..

I made mine with a lining, because It is a heavy brocade, and I didn't want it scratching or snagging. But I used a crinkle silk. A friend of mine asked me to make her a silk sling with a fleece lining for winter. I'm sure that you could line it with whatever you wanted to. It's not hard at all. PM me, and I could give you more info!