PDA

View Full Version : THAT can't be good...

lovemychildren
03-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Went shopping today. Big shopping.. like.. we really needed all things Food. Kwim? Well, it HAD to be done, and just for some reason, evening shopping is NOT a good experience for my kids.. they detest it. So- -I go in the day because sending dh always makes for more work than it is help (even with a list). Also, DD nurses too often for me to go alone... So--- anyway--

My 4y/o walks by the cart or sits in the deep part of the cart. My 3 y/o is very "runny-away-y" so he sits in the part of the cart with the leg holes. My 6 month old sits on my hip in my sling (She used to sit in a sheet, but just all of a sudden started liking the Nojo Sling I have used for all the kids). So, about 35 minutes of shopping and I'm done. All kids were so peaceful during the trip it was jsut a complete joy. (store is a few minutes from my house)

Once I sat in the van to go home, I felt it. My back. Entire left side from shoulderblade to waist.. .PULLED MUSCLE. That was the side I was holding her on. She's 22lbs.

I know that makes me sound like a wimpo, but I'm 200pounds these days and "damaged easily" because I'm not in good shape. I'm in desperate need of knee surgery but can't get it done untill I'm finished nursing and she's just an infant still. I rely on my sling so much to SAVE my back (and of course for loving cuddles and snuggles etc.)

My question would be: Are there any slings out there that are "better" for your back.. or any way to hold (position) them that won't toss my back out of link?

MomToDM
03-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I have a moby wrap and I've found it to be much easier on my back than my nojo was because you wear it so it goes over both shoulders and distributes baby's weight very evenly over your torso, I keep her facing me on my chest and she always sleeps. I absolutely love it and cannot tolerate using my nojo even for a few minutes now.

InglesideMomma
03-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Something that would use both shoulders to even out the weight ditribution. I've noticed with me, that I'm fine for a while, but sometimes I wake up with a sore neck and back since my ds is getting bigger, and has a new found freedom in his sling. On days when he's needing to be slung for longer than an hour, I use my home made ABC while we're out, and a wrap at home (I am so not ready to wrap in public yet :O )

MarynMunchkins
03-17-2006, 05:41 AM
You definitely need a two shoulder sling. :yes A mei tei is simpler to put on in public than a wrap.

:hug Hope you're feeling better soon.

lovemychildren
03-17-2006, 11:03 PM
On days when he's needing to be slung for longer than an hour, I use my home made ABC while we're out, and a wrap at home (I am so not ready to wrap in public yet )

What's an ABC? Which wrap at home? TIA

WOW good idea, I would have never thought of that. I'll check out the MaiTai one, I have the link bookmarked cuz a friend bought it and showed me the link. I'll look at the moby wrap too....

I really like the kinds that you can tighten because I like that I can loosen it if she wants to recline, or pull extra tight when she needs more security... lemme go google the moby... :D THANKS i'm so excited..

InglesideMomma
03-18-2006, 12:21 AM
On days when he's needing to be slung for longer than an hour, I use my home made ABC while we're out, and a wrap at home (I am so not ready to wrap in public yet )

What's an ABC? Which wrap at home? TIA

WOW good idea, I would have never thought of that. I'll check out the MaiTai one, I have the link bookmarked cuz a friend bought it and showed me the link. I'll look at the moby wrap too....

I really like the kinds that you can tighten because I like that I can loosen it if she wants to recline, or pull extra tight when she needs more security... lemme go google the moby... :D THANKS i'm so excited..

Asian Baby Carrier, same thing as a Mei Tai. I made the wrap I've been using, and looking forward to the wrap that is on the way! ;)