PDA

View Full Version : Ring Sling vs. Pouch?

reneeber
03-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Just a couple general questions.

I didn't have a sling of any kind with #1 - just a Baby Bjorn. Loved that thing, but it wasn't comfortable much past 20 lbs. or so. I've been lucky to have a (rich!) friend give me not one but two slings for this next baby, since she wants to get brand new ones for her next one. One is a pouch, which she said she found to work much better for the earlier months. The other is a ring sling. It was made by a friend of hers - not a Maya Wrap.

I'm a total idiot about knowing how to wear these things, every time I tried one with #1 I felt like she was about to fall out. I've got a friend who uses her Maya forever, so she's going to help me out when the baby comes.

But do you think it's true that a pouch is better for when they're newborn, and then a ring sling for when they can support themselves better? Why or why not?

I'm also planning to get an Ergo at some point. When did you start using yours, if you have one? Approx. how many months?

Thanks!

kris10s
03-15-2006, 11:57 AM
I think the opposite. My reflux-y one needed to be slung tummy to tummy, so I always used a ring sling. When they get bigger and can sit on your hip, I ALWAYS reach for a pouch. You could do t2t with a bjorn, but a sling is easier on their pelvic bone, etc.

Iarwain
03-15-2006, 12:04 PM
I also prefer a ring sling for a newborn. It's just so much more adjustable for different positions and it's a lot easier for me to tweak how tight one side or the other is to support them better. I also don't find a pouch easy or comfortable to nurse in, but with a ring sling it's super easy for me. Pouches are handy for hip carry and I like how small they can fold up to take with but not my first choice with a newborn.

kris10s
03-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes, nursing and taking off the sling with a sleeping babe in it are both much easier with a ring sling!

hink4687
03-26-2006, 07:31 PM
I've never used a ring sling but I second what everyone else says about the pouches being great for hip carries when they get older. I also have an ergo but I didn't get it until DS was almost 1 and I love it.

Wholly Mama
03-27-2006, 10:35 AM
I understand where your friend is coming from.
Since pouches are not adjustable, they will work well for either a cradle carry or an upright/hip carry. Usually they don't work well for both. A lot of my friends did what your friend did, wear a looser fitting pouch for infant (cradled), and then used a ring sling for when they got bigger and moved to forward facing or hip carry.
I was able to use a snug pouch for cradling a newborn (worn higher up), and then upright carries as well. It depends on the size of the pouch.
I personally don't like cradling in a ring sling, so go for the pouch when cradling, but like the adjustability of the ring sling for upright holds.