PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this book?

CakeLady
02-28-2006, 10:53 AM
The Dare to Discipline book by Dr Dobson? Any comments on the book or Dr. Dobson? Just curious...

Thanks!

CakeLady
02-28-2006, 10:53 AM
The Dare to Discipline book by Dr Dobson? Any comments on the book or Dr. Dobson? Just curious...

Thanks!

mommy2abigail
02-28-2006, 12:15 PM
I think most would say that Dobson is adversarial and punative. He does advocate spanking, time-out, and 'showing who's boss', if ykwim. I read that you are having some difficulties (don't know if this post is in regard to that, but thought I'd mention it) and was wondering if you had read Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline, by Becky Bailey. I loved the book, she is very GBD, straightforwad, no nonsense, and positive. HTH

mommy2abigail
02-28-2006, 12:15 PM
I think most would say that Dobson is adversarial and punative. He does advocate spanking, time-out, and 'showing who's boss', if ykwim. I read that you are having some difficulties (don't know if this post is in regard to that, but thought I'd mention it) and was wondering if you had read Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline, by Becky Bailey. I loved the book, she is very GBD, straightforwad, no nonsense, and positive. HTH

CakeLady
02-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks. The reason I asked is that I was noticing a VERY big difference in my parenting style vs my sister's and I saw that book on her shelf...just wondering what it was about.

CakeLady
02-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks. The reason I asked is that I was noticing a VERY big difference in my parenting style vs my sister's and I saw that book on her shelf...just wondering what it was about.

Feorsteorra
02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I actually had that book recomended to me in the Gentle Discipline forum on another message board. I guess some people see him as "gentle"? I know my mom always read Dobson's magazines, but she and my dad would have done well to actually follow Dobson instead of a mixture of total permisiveness mixed with screaming, yelling, swearing, and violent spankings.

Feorsteorra
02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I actually had that book recomended to me in the Gentle Discipline forum on another message board. I guess some people see him as "gentle"? I know my mom always read Dobson's magazines, but she and my dad would have done well to actually follow Dobson instead of a mixture of total permisiveness mixed with screaming, yelling, swearing, and violent spankings.

lavender mom
02-28-2006, 08:28 PM
I just attended a video discipline class by Dobson. He talked a lot about the importance of setting clear boundaries, which I agree with. That's about all that I agreed with. He also seemed to have the attitude that kids were out to conquer their parents and that it's our job as parents to put them in their place and show them "who's boss." He feels like the best way to do this is to spank kids or punish them in other ways. I found that Dobson was on the opposite end of the spectrum than GBD. Makes sense that you and your sister might approach things differently.

lavender mom
02-28-2006, 08:28 PM
I just attended a video discipline class by Dobson. He talked a lot about the importance of setting clear boundaries, which I agree with. That's about all that I agreed with. He also seemed to have the attitude that kids were out to conquer their parents and that it's our job as parents to put them in their place and show them "who's boss." He feels like the best way to do this is to spank kids or punish them in other ways. I found that Dobson was on the opposite end of the spectrum than GBD. Makes sense that you and your sister might approach things differently.