PDA

View Full Version : Back Carry w/a Wrap?

mommy2abigail
02-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Ok, whenever I try to do a back carry, it seems like the last step, (wraping the fabric under dd's knees) is too tight. :shrug Like it shouldn't be that tight going behind her knees, kwim? But this is how I see it in pictures, so I'm pretty sure I am doing it right. It seems like it would be cutting in to her skin, or her circulation, or al least be uncomfortable with all her weight resting on the fabric behind her knees. Anyone else have this problem, and how did you fix it, or am I just not getting it? :shrug I have an Ergo, so I've been putting her in it on my back, but I really prefer a wrap, and now that she's heavier, I need to be able to put her on my back for longer trips. Thanks!

ChristineG
02-14-2006, 07:14 AM
I'm not sure if I totally understand what is going on, but have a couple of suggestions. The main thing with back carries is to make sure that your baby's knees are a little higher than her bum, so that she is sitting in a good seat. Bunching up the extra fabric at the bottom, instead of letting it go up to the top under her armpits or at her neck, if her arms are in, is a good way to do this. Pull up on under her knees a bit before you tie to get her in the right position. Also, sometimes folding the bottom rail over a few times before you put her on your back helps a bit to offer a good cushion. (Likewise, folding over at the top helps to offer a little more head support for younger babies.) You can also do this cool twist thing. I'll see if I can find the link for you. Here it is: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21070&highlight=rucksack+twist This helps to prevent red marks. Does that help any?

Okay, re-reading your post, I think this isn't really what you meant. I think the rucksack with a twist might still help with what you are asking, but ikwym now about the last part, wrapping over and under dd's knees being tight. I had the same thoughts when I started wrapping, but I think it isn't an issue. I think it is just a different way than we are used to carrying babies, so it seems strange to us, but they seem quite comfy with it. :-)

mommy2abigail
02-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks! I'll keep trying. Right now she gets very cranky if I try to put her on my back, she's not too patient, and I'm not too quick! I think if I try a few times a day, we'll get it soon!

Radosny Matka
02-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks! I'll keep trying. Right now she gets very cranky if I try to put her on my back, she's not too patient, and I'm not too quick! I think if I try a few times a day, we'll get it soon!

:hug2 Patrick was the same way. He would be fussy while I was wrapping him and be fine once I got him in. :rolleyes It took me about a week practicing once or twice a day before I got it down. I like the backcross carry (which also eliminates the fabric on the legs):

http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowToO/WrapCrossCarryChestBelt.htm

The only thing I do different than these instructions is to put the wrap on my lower back, put Patrick on my back and then lift the wrap up. Then I can just pull the wrap under my arms and not mess around with shoulders to underams. It just eliminates that step.

Here's a pic we took yesterday:
http://www.avataravenue.com/account/mylittletyke/back.jpg

mommy2abigail
02-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for those instructions! I actually got her on my back well enough to go for a walk today! And she did ok as I was putting her up there! :tu

ChristineG
02-18-2006, 05:14 AM
:clap :clap Great!! That's so exciting!! :-)

Radosny Matka
02-18-2006, 06:56 PM
:dance :highfive

mommy2abigail
02-18-2006, 07:18 PM
We did it! We have got the back tie down pat! We went for a two hour walk today, (it was gorgeous outside) and we also went to the mall where she rode on my back. Oh the looks we got! Here's a new question for you oh so smart mama's...what do you do if dc falls asleep back there during a walk? I had to walk a little hunched over 'cause she kept flopping over to one side! :giggle

ChristineG
02-19-2006, 05:05 AM
.what do you do if dc falls asleep back there during a walk? I had to walk a little hunched over 'cause she kept flopping over to one side! :giggle

When I am doing the carry like in Sara's pic, I just ask my dh or my older dd to pull the fabric from one of my shoulders over dd's head. :-)

waterbaby
02-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Whenever we do a back carry, I just keep a little extra fabric by her shoulders so that if she falls asleep, I just have to lean forward slightly and then reach back there and pull it up over her head.

mommy2abigail
02-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I think I am going totry and design a head pouch thing. Like what is on the ergo. Maybe putting it on like a backpack, (putting your arms in it) and tying it in front? Maybe it can be a pouch to hold the wrap, and open up to become the head pouch? :think I may be on to some thing here... :shifty

Jenne
02-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Chiming in late, but WTG! :tu I was so proud of myself when me and DD finally figured back wrapping out together. :)

Sara, you two look so cute in that pic! :D

cdmaze
03-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I havne't read the article posted above yet, but I have had the same problem with dd when she falls asleep...walking hunchback is not ok! I have only mastered the rucksack and the tibetan...hoping to get the BWCC down so I can pull the wrapp to support her head when she snoozes!