PDA

View Full Version : Had my chance!

littlehoney
02-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I had my chance to defend hs'ing yesterday and I kinda blew it. Sometimes I am just a blubbering idiot! :rolleyes I was chatting with another mom I know - a ps teacher mom, and she was saying to me "I don't know how you do it all with 4 kids, I have a tough time with just the 3 I have". I said I'm hoping it will get "easier?" as they grow, in some ways. She was quick to tell me that it only gets harder because there are 3 different school projects all going at the same time and they have so much to do for 3 different kids in different grade levels, etc... and all their activities afterschool. So I was telling her that we have a pretty easy morning, (despite the busy afternoons), because we are home all day until about 3 p.m., we homeschool. She asked me if my husband helps, she also asked me if we homeschool for religous reasons... I said no, but that's not entirely true. ( I really don't want my kids to go to ps because of all the lack or morality and virtue, and the acceptance of the type of behavior that results.) But instead, I didn't say any of that. And I wish I had. I said I like private school, but it's expensive (even though now that we hs, I would pass on private school too!) I guess I was nervous or something. I had said that my kids are just really getting started with hs'ing and my hope is that in the years to come they will be very independent and self motivated without constant supervision from me - (and how nice that'll be!) But, I didn't sound very convincing, and I think she wanted me to be more convincing so she could debate - I get the feeling she's a teacher who thinks the world of her own job. Which is great, but doesn't change the ps system one bit... Anyway, I thought of all these things I should've said and last night I was all flustered about not going ahead and proving my point - oh well, that's just me... :rockon

Beyond Blessed
02-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Maybe it's good that you couldn't find the right words since she was likely just up for a debate. :shrug I think public schools have great resources and talented, driven teachers. But they also have ratio issues and then there's the whole "socialization" thing going on. Hopefully this will open up future conversations with her. You will be aware of your first impression (that maybe she wanted a debate) and that may help you feel more confident - knowing what you're getting into. I've grown in my ability to share our homeschooling situation with confidence. At first I didn't even want to go shopping during the day with the boys because people would know that they "should be in school" and *then* what would I do?!?! :shifty

littlehoney
02-03-2006, 12:33 PM
It's funny, I was just thinking that i need to go to the store, and then i was saying to myself - what will people think when i show up at K-Mart before noon with 4 kids, 2 of them obviously school age! :think