PDA

View Full Version : Eclectic homeschooling/unschooling mama

PrairieFlowerC
02-02-2006, 05:29 PM
n/t

Chris3jam
02-02-2006, 05:59 PM
We unschool. :grin We're eclectic. We're different. :grin Have you tried and unschooling groups in your area?

PrairieFlowerC
02-02-2006, 06:14 PM
n/t

Chris3jam
02-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Oh, dear! Where are you? There is one group in my state. . .I say state, because we are so scattered.

illinoismommy
02-02-2006, 06:44 PM
What is CMM?

ArmsOfLove
02-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I believe that's Charlotte Mason Method :)

That could sort of describe me :) I do get a bit more formal around 3rd grade where ds sort of is now--he's doing 3rd grade work in some things but not really there maturity--almost. Though the more structure I give him the better he does :tu We use Math U See and he loves Alpha Phonics though I'm looking for something different for dd. We also do Story of the World :tu We're just really relaxed about them :grin

AttachedMamma
02-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi! We're eclectic too and that's one of the reasons I love homeschooling--I can do it MY way! :grin DD is 5 and I'm following her lead right now. She likes to do some of the colorful worksheets/books we found in the store. We have a couple of things from Rod & Staff. But mostly we're playing board games, card games, puzzles, checkers and, most recently, chess; she likes connect--the-dot and maze books, we love to read (she's still learning) in this house. She's currently in a drama class through the local rec center and had a HS PE class. DD enjoys her Leap Pad, though I try to keep that to a mimimum. I suppose you could say we're not *pure* unschoolers...we just do a mix of stuff and live life. We'll take each year as it comes. We're thinking about joining a local HS co-op next year which will give DD connection to other HSing children and some help w/things like music and drawing which would be more costly if we went out on our own.

cindi

fourbygrace
02-03-2006, 11:23 PM
We are relaxed homeschoolers. I am trying something new this year which we are calling "kid school". We are using Right Start Math and we do a lesson almost every day, but much of it is games, so they love it. I also am using Sonlight books for reading aloud to my dc. Then they choose an activity or writing or whatever they want to do with me one on one for about 15-20 minutes. the rest of the time is spent doing activities, games, projects or whatever. I also read aloud to them after lunch and before bed. It seems like there is learning going on all day long and that is great.

I really like a phrase used by the author Mary Hood "More like a family, less like a school". That is what I really want.

Blessings,
Mary

webbeccjo
02-12-2006, 04:58 PM
We've unschooled/eclectic homeschooled for over 12 years now...well really for about 17 years since it really starts at birth, right?!

Jillian
02-13-2006, 04:50 PM
We are unschoolers :grin

arwen_tiw
02-14-2006, 06:58 AM
Me. :mrgreen I'm an unschooling mama of a tiny tot.

hbmamma
02-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Yes, that's what I am - eclectic! :grin Kinda more unschooling, but maybe more structured than the average unschooler. I don't use any particular curriculum, but rather pick and choose what I like (more important, what my kids would like and thrive to use). I have looked at the Singapore Math and I really like the looks of it. It's very reasonably priced too! I saw some sample pages online and my daughter instantly liked it. I like to use books & workbooks, but I'm not going to "make" my kids do them for the sake of busy work.

We're finishing up our pre-k year and will "officially" start k next year, probably summer. :grin

rosesnsnails
02-14-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm one. :D

Iarwain
02-14-2006, 08:59 AM
See my siggy. :mrgreen

illinoismommy
02-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Me. :mrgreen I'm an unschooling mama of a tiny tot.

Wow our babies are a week apart in age :highfive