PDA

View Full Version : Conformity - where do you draw the line?

cro
02-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm still in the early stages of hs. Still researching and experimenting and trying to sort things out. Please bear with me.

Yesterday I took ds to storytime at the library. It was only his 2nd time and he was having trouble sitting still so they asked me to sit w/ him. He was either inspecting things around the room or standing to see the book up close. Long story short, I don't blame him for moving around. I was bored by the librarian!

On the way home, so many thoughts were brewing in my head. DS wasn't bothering the other kids; he just wanted to explore his new surroundings or actively "read" the librarian's books. He'd rather do than have someone do for him. Do I keep bringing him to storytime to expose him to other kids and a semi-structured setting? Or do we quit and do our own thing? Eventually there will come a time when he'll need to sit and listen to somebody whether he likes it or not...but does he need this skill at age 3?

I've never been a non-conformist, so it's scary for me to go against the system. These conflicts are tearing me up inside. I know, this is a minor issue. But I also know that the way I handle this dilemma will help me sort out other issues in my decision to hs.

Leslie
02-01-2006, 12:30 PM
He doesn't need that skill at age 3. If he enjoys storytime, take him (you can leave when he gets bored). If he's not interested, don't bother. We never did the library's storytime. I was never that impressed with their selection of books. We can read stories at home.

MagnoliaMommy
02-01-2006, 12:48 PM
:hug

It is perfectly normal for an active 3 yo! :yes I took ds to storytime at that age and we had the same experience. I started to arrive late so he didn't have to sit still for long. We always had a craft and snack after the story and some free play, so it didn't matter if we were a little late. ;)

Ds matured a lot over the summer and now he is able to sit still for storytime. I think it has helped that we go to the library at least once a month just to check out books and allow him plenty of time to play and explore. Our library also offers craft nights and movie nights, so that is also nice...although I prefer the crafts over the movies.

I wouldn't feel the need to conform...it is a lot to ask an active little boy to sit still for long! :hug

ShangriLewis
02-01-2006, 02:10 PM
We are really fortunate to have a great librarian who has her own toddlers. But, I have been places before where they just don't get it. I mean a children's storytime for 3 year olds should be fun. Ours always does fun fingerplays and lots of movement. I would go and if he wants to stay then stay. Perhaps you might even want to volunteer to make a more toddler friendly story time!

cro
02-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Perhaps you might even want to volunteer to make a more toddler friendly story time!
Don't tempt me! They do fingerplays, etc, but the librarian just isn't very engaging.

ArmsOfLove
02-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Eventually there will come a time when he'll need to sit and listen to somebody whether he likes it or not...but does he need this skill at age 3?
I have found that when they truly *need* that skill, they have it. And when they don't have it, I've never found a time they truly *need* it :)