PDA

View Full Version : How to back-carry while pregnant

poleidopy
01-31-2006, 05:26 PM
So now I am almost 22 weeks pregnant and can't carry DS on the front anymore (he is 19mos) not because of his weight, but just because of the pressure of him on my belly, my belly on my bladder, etc, KWIM? So I back-carried him to the post office the other day, which is about 2.5mile round trip and now I have bruises...one on my chest between and a little above my boobs (where the knot was) and on either side of my ribcage where the straps wrapped around. Maybe there's an easier way? I put him on my back, wrapped the fabric from back to front & knotted it, then wrapped it over each shoulder, under his butt & tied it in front. Should I have just put it over my shoulders without knotting it? Where can I find good pics & how do YOU back-carry comfortably? I would just use my ring-sling or pouch, but I can't walk as far as I need to then without shoulder pain. :think

fancifulfrog
01-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Go to http://www.mamatoto.org/ They have many options. I remember what that was like while I was PG with DS. My two are 14 mo apart and it was hard because DD couldn't walk at ALL. I ended up using her stroller a few times as I got farther along in my Pregnancy. I didn't feel the least bit guilty because I was doing the best I could for BOTH my DC.

ChristineG
02-01-2006, 05:29 AM
I used a wrap and an MT when I was pregnant. I carried my nearly 2yo right until the end, including when I was nearly a week overdue! I lugged her around the outdoor market for a couple of hours to try to get labour started and it didn't work!! Raised some eyebrows, though! :giggle

What type of carrier are you using? Can you sew? If you don't have a wrap or an MT, I would highly recommend trying one of these to use during pregnancy. They are fantastic. You can then carry with the straps going rucksack-style (meaning they come over your shoulders, under your arms) and tie under your belly at the front or even under baby's bum at the back. I found this completely comfortable. :)

DogwoodMama
02-01-2006, 06:22 AM
I wore dd who is 28 lbs in my MT recently by tying it "high" over my belly- it was comfortable for around the house, but I'm not sure if I could have taken a walk in it or anything. :think

mamma2allen
02-01-2006, 04:37 PM
I have been using the Tibetan carry lately or the strap carry with the Tibetan tie. Check then out on mamatoto.org. I like it because it puts no pressure on the stomach.
Stephanie

sarahtar
02-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I have a customer who wears her DD on her back in the high back carry with an Asian carrier and loved it. A friend just wore her DS in the rucksack carry and found it to be comfy. (http://www.wallypop.net/images/instructions/wrap/Sling_Wrap_Back14.jpg)

Jenne
02-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Ouch! You poor thing--those bruises sound painful.

What kind of wrap are you using? I've never gotten bruises from a wrap... but then again, I only have one babe, so I didn't wrap when pregnant.

I would agree with pp who recommended tibetan or rucksack carries. The majority of the weight will be supported by your shoulders (and hips if you tie the rucksack below your belly to finish) I guess you could still end up with bruises on your shoulders...

The only other thing I can think is just to spread the fabric out... so the weight isn't pressing on just one spot... that might keep you bruise-free.

cdmaze
02-07-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm about 22 weeks, and I have been using my Mei Tai, but I cant tie it around the middle anymore. I just got a Didymos wrap, and have been playing all day long with it. I like the Tibetan carry because it goes across your chest and it's actually not as hard as I thought it'd be! Even with my squirmy two year old!

poleidopy
02-07-2006, 02:15 PM
I think i figured it out...I was in the middle of wrapping DS on the other day when someone called & i had to answer the phone, so there I was talking for like 10 minutes bent over, w/DS on my back, trying to tie & wrap with one hand...not easy! But it was the first time I got it comfortable! I had to make sure everything was *really* spread out and tight. I think I made it too tight though, because DS couldn't get his arms out and he didn't say a word the whole time we walked (he's usually very vocal) So I guess I need to work on getting it tight without squeezing the breath out of him! :shifty

Jenne
02-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Maybe he was just *that* comfortable! :)

cdmaze
02-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Cool! I'm wearing dd right now...feels good! Maybe she'll go to sleep!