PDA

View Full Version : Math-U-See

lmgeenw
01-29-2006, 10:05 PM
My daughter loves workbooks, so i got the Math-U-See Primer. So far we both really like it! It only takes a few minutes of prep time and is really simple. Tonight dd told me to make sure I get her math ready for tomorrow so that we can do it. I hope she stays this enthusiastic!

lumpofclay
01-29-2006, 10:43 PM
I :heart MUS. This reminds me. . . I need to order our 5 yo a book. She's been asking for one, after watching our 7 yo do her math. :tu

ShangriLewis
02-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Gibran loves it. I keep a Math book from Staples around if he wants some color workbook pages. He likes to mix those up during the week. But, it's so nice to have someone explain the work for him. I think it's a great program.

Leslie
02-01-2006, 08:54 AM
We've used Math-U-See for 5 or 6 years and been really happy with it.

ServantofGod
02-03-2006, 02:43 PM
I LOVE MUS! Other than a brief stint with Saxon K when Kyla was little, we've used MUS. I regularly find myself saying, "I wish someone had taught it to me that way!" Another fun add-in we use is Math-It, a sort of game for learning math facts. :tu

joandsarah77
02-03-2006, 07:22 PM
We have just ordered the whole kit and caboodle for primer level, so I hope we really like it! :D

ShangriLewis
02-08-2006, 09:03 AM
You will! :mrgreen

SueQ
02-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Those of you who use MUS do you buy the Teacher pack, student book and the block set? Do you need all of them?

ArmsOfLove
02-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Those of you who use MUS do you buy the Teacher pack, student book and the block set? Do you need all of them?
Yes, though the Teacher Pack has been of little use to me in the early stuff, I'm glad I have it to understand what I'm supposed to do with some things that come up in the workbook that I'm not sure what they're wanting :O Liam is already doing areas and perimeters, solving for the unknown, multiplication and subtraction. And he LOVES it!

Now, they've changed the workbooks since we got ds1's and I just ordered dd's. I was frustrated to find that she knows half of the Alpha book and half of the Beta book and not the other half of either so as I :think and :phone my best friend to figure out which to get her, she suggested to me that I get the first book and let her breeze through what she already knows and lay a foundation that "Math is Easy" and fun and I thought :tu Great idea! :idea So that's what we've done :grin

ServantofGod
02-13-2006, 02:51 PM
she suggested to me that I get the first book and let her breeze through what she already knows and lay a foundation that "Math is Easy" and fun and I thought thumbs up Great idea! idea So that's what we've done grin

I did this, too! Kyla has been in MUS since first grade. When they reorganized the program, this was kind of aggravating, but yes, it has been great, because now she's just sailing through the beginning of the Gamma book. I think it's giving her a lot of confidence in multiplying.

lmgeenw
02-13-2006, 04:18 PM

I bought everything and I think the teachers guide is very helpful. It comes with a DVD for teachers that is divided in 5 min. segments or so for each lesson. I like being able to see how someone else might teach the lesson. The teachers guide and DVD have different ideas for teaching. However, I don't think they are necessary with the early lessons.

joandsarah77
02-16-2006, 03:51 AM
Mine came today! :dance
It all looks really good. Some of the skip counting songs look cute in the song book. " When four and five moved in next door, they made a happy nine" Although I havn't actualy played the song cd yet.
I can hardly believe how large the studant primer book is though, it's massive! I think dd will need a wagon just to cart it about. :giggle

ShangriLewis
02-16-2006, 09:53 AM
I just wanted to say that I let Gibran watch the DVD and do the lesson. I usually watch the lesson with him though. I think MathUSee is great for those of with children who enjoy teaching themselves.

Forgiven
02-16-2006, 01:18 PM
This thread is perfect timing. At our homeschool group this week a couple of ladies were talking about math u see and I was going to post on here to see what other thought. My question now is where do you purchase it from?

joandsarah77
02-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Go to there web site http://www.mathusee.com/ to the left you will see purchase. Click on that then on your country or state and that will take you to the appropriate order form. :D

SueQ
02-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, I just ordered MUS and can't wait for it to come! :mrgreen

lumpofclay
02-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Well, I just ordered MUS and can't wait for it to come! :mrgreen

Me too!

Well, we've been using Foundations with Chandler for a couple of years now. We started with Foundations instead of the Introduction at 5 because I thought it was a better fit. It's worked well, but I've moved slowly. She loves math, though!

Chandler still has a bit to go in her book, but I ordered the Primer for Maddux. Most of it will be really easy for her. I think that's a great thing! :) I'm going to start doing a little structured time with her on Fridays (when DH gets home early from work). Mainly, we're going to review letters and sounds (possibly write some as she shows interest/readiness), read some good books (starting with the original Pooh series), work on a handicraft project, and some math sheets. I ordered it a couple of days ago. Maybe it will be here by next Friday, so I can start on it!

In retrospect, I should have ordered Intro. for Chandler two years ago. So much of it would have been review, and I thought we'd get through the book too quickly. It seemed like a better way to spend money to buy the Foundations and move more slowly. She loves math, though, and I've had to slow her down a bit just to make sure she had the concept before moving on. Does that make sense?

SueQ
02-23-2006, 02:56 PM
In retrospect, I should have ordered Intro. for Chandler two years ago. So much of it would have been review, and I thought we'd get through the book too quickly. It seemed like a better way to spend money to buy the Foundations and move more slowly. She loves math, though, and I've had to slow her down a bit just to make sure she had the concept before moving on. Does that make sense?
Yes, that makes since. I was thinking about haveing my K and 2nd grader both doing Alpha next year because they both cover the basics but decided to ask about it on the Math-U-See yahoo group that I had recently joined. After talking it over with the list members, I decided that it would be better for both boys if I had JT start out in Primer and DT start out in Alpha since Primer does the basics at a slower pace. Plus I think it would be easier for DT if his younger brother wasn't starting in the same book he is.

Edited to add:
I am still anxiously awaiting the arrival of the books but I got the blocks today. I ordered them used and now really can't wait for the books to come. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow and then I can start with them on Monday!

Lyn
03-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm so glad to read all of this positive feedback! :tu We're resuming homeschooling our oldest child next Fall and I'm planning to purchase the MUS curriculum next week. :mrgreen