PDA

View Full Version : Principle Approach/ Noah Plan

fourbygrace
01-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Is there anyone here who uses the Biblical Principle Approach? I have been reading about it on the net and I really love the idea of relating all subjects to the principles of God's Word.

I also would like to know more about the Christian history of America from the original sources (actual writings of the Founding Fathers) rather than reading about it from a historian' s perception. I was reading an old post about American history on this board and realized that there is so much false information out there. I have so little knowledge of history it is pathetic!

The books are just SO expensive and I would like to know more before I invest that kind of money.

In case anyone is interested in the website that I got most of my info. from : http://www.face.net/

Blessings,
Mary

lumpofclay
01-29-2006, 10:50 PM
I took a look at that website. I had never really heard of all this before. Hopefully someone with true experience will speak up. ;) It looks interesting, though.

You are very right about false information regarding history. Truthfully, there's lots of false information/products for all subjects. :rolleyes I never liked history in school either. I didn't understand it. . . didn't understand how it all fit together. I'm really enjoying teaching history chronologically, which is what we've chosen to do.

fourbygrace
01-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I found a yahoo group for the Principle Approach (PA) and from what I have been reading, this approach works with many different curricula. I have discovered ther is a PA Christian school just a few miles from my house. I also found someone who lives about 75 miles away and she mailed me one of her books to read so that I could borrow it without buying it first. That was really nice. All I have to do is mail it back, or she may pick it up when she visits her daughter who goes to college near us.

I am planning to use Ambleside Online for our homeschol next year and the PA seems to fit well with Charlotte Mason. It is bringing out the principles in God's Word as related to every single subject. They use primarily nature study for the elementary grades too.

Even though they have a curriculum; the PA is not a curriculum.

That is what I know so far. :D I do not know anyone in my homeschool group of 80 families taht uses this approach, so we may not hear from anyone on GCM either.

Blessings,
Mary

Mama Calidad
01-31-2006, 09:12 AM
The idea looks interesting, but I downloaded the lesson plans for 1st grade science and found it too school-at-home for my tastes. :hunh I didn't have time to go through it extensively, but it seemed to be a lot of teacher standing at the blackboard writing stuff for the student to copy down. I know that works well for some, but it's not our style. :grin

At this rate, I'll be an unschooler by the time DD is 8. :laughtears

fourbygrace
01-31-2006, 02:13 PM
The Noah Plan curriculum is not really designed for homeschools. It is designed for schools, so that's why the lesson plans look that way. ;)

I am interested in actual Principle Approach, which is the philosophy behind it. I am not interested in school-at-home either! We are way too relaxed for the Noah Plan curriculum. I think the yahoo group I found will be able to answer my questions, so unless I hear from someone here who is actually studying the books on the approach, I will drop the thread for now. I have discovered there is a book for those who want to use the approach for homeschooling that does not include all that teacher/ classroom stuff. There are people using Tapestry of Grace and Charlotte Mason ideas on the group, so that should give me the perspective that I am looking for.

Blessings,
Mary