PDA

View Full Version : Christine... (wrap question)

kris10s
01-27-2006, 10:40 AM
I know you have a Storch and a Bebina, do you have a Didy, too? If you were going to own just *one* good wrap, would you chose one style over the other for any reason or just colors?

DogwoodMama
01-27-2006, 10:44 AM
:popcorn

An Ella Roo is on my "dream list", I'm wondering how they differ from the ones above?

I'm sorry the Moby didn't work out for you, Kristen... I'm hoping I'll have better luck with mine.

kris10s
01-27-2006, 10:53 AM
It's no big deal -- I liked the moby and would have kept it if I could have afforded to buy a nice MT without selling it. The MT I have is short bodied and is lightly padded at the top of the body which is PERFECT for Lexi. She's got a lot of head control for 5 weeks old, but having that padded body supporting her neck (but not, heaven forbid, covering her head) means I can move so much more freely.

ChristineG
01-28-2006, 10:19 AM
:-) I do have a Didy (actually, two :O). I think they are fantastic, as are my other wraps. I never in a million years would have thought I'd own more than one. I am an extremely frugal person in every other area of my life. Dh doesn't care how many wraps I get as long as I don't use our family's money for them. So, I use money from my diaper business and from other things I have sold (like my other carriers!). It is so worth it to save up for a good wrap, or two. It is so versitile! My dad calls it 'Origami for Babies'. :giggle

Anyway, if I could choose just one, I think it would be a Didy Stripes in a size 6 because I can do all carries with this size. I own a Katja and it is absolutely comfortable and wonderful. There are always deals to be had at www.thebabywearer.com on their For Sale or Trade board. Now, a good deal is still expensive, but it is really, really worth it. My plan, when I got my first wrap, was to buy one, see what the fabric was like and go buy some and make them for myself to have a few more. However, I could absolutely find no fabric that came close. It really does seem to be specially woven by some woman in a tower in a secret corner of the world. I think a lot of people try to save money by buying a good wrap that is a little shorter than they really need. Most people can do all wraps with a size 6, some really skinny-minnies can do fine with a size 5 and some fluffier mamas need a size 7. :)

I almost hesitated to say Didy as my one and only because I think that all the GSWs (German Style Wovens) are excellent wraps -- Bebina, Hoppediz, Easycare, BBSlen, Girasol, etc.. I think Didy is only a personal preference, not that it is 'better' than the others per se. Storches are known for being 'indestructible', meaning washer and dryer, so that is a great choice, too. My Bebina is buttery soft and very supportive. You can't go wrong with any of the GSWs, so I really think it is just a matter of choosing one you love the colour of or one that is a great deal.

Another couple of places where good deals on used wraps happen: http://www.kaisersheepskin.com/newusedbabyslings.htm and http://lemonbalmessentials.com/Site/Home-1.html

cdmaze
01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Great info...I was wondering inmy post where everyone was getting the wraps used...now I have some places to look!

cdmaze
01-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey, I just looked on those sites..and I'm confused about the sizes...I'd want a size six, but these sites seems to be listing in meters, and habe alot of 3.5, 4.3 type numbers? Am I missing something?

abbiroads
01-28-2006, 12:05 PM
How do these wraps that you are raving about (I'm a little jealous of your knowledge) compare to the moby wrap, which is the only wrap I have tried.

ChristineG
01-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Okay, first of all...sizing. Didy usually lists their sizes in terms of size 2-7. Storch and other wraps usually list in metres. A size 5 Didy is 4.2m and a size 6 is 4.6m. I see on the lemonbalmessentials site the Didys are listed in metres, so a 4.6m is what most people would look for. :)

Compared to Moby...well, different, but heavenly. A Moby is a stretchy wrap which is excellent and cozy for young babies, but usually lacks the support needed for heavier babies. The German wovens can be used as long as you can carry your babies/toddlers/children. They can be used for newborns, too. A lot of people love to have both a stretchy wrap for the little baby periods and a woven for later on. Others like to start with wovens and just stick with them. I like wovens the best, so used them for my newborn right from the start. It is definitely a personal preference thing. Definitely, a woven is worth trying if you have only tried a stretchy. It is a real treat! Plus, if you buy used and find you don't like it, you can usually sell for what you paid, so all you lose is the shipping. :-)

cdmaze
01-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks!!!

Radosny Matka
01-28-2006, 08:44 PM
:tu

abbiroads
01-29-2006, 03:50 AM
Thanks! Now I understand.

margot
01-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Christine,
Would a Storchenweige or Ellaroo compare to a Rebozo in the way the woven fabric feels? One of the websites said the Storch would be a heavier material than an Ellaroo- is it still easy to manage and tie knots with?

ChristineG
01-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Christine,
Would a Storchenweige or Ellaroo compare to a Rebozo in the way the woven fabric feels? One of the websites said the Storch would be a heavier material than an Ellaroo- is it still easy to manage and tie knots with?

A rebozo is not a brand of wrap, like a Storch or an Ellaroo. It refers more to the length and the type of carries you do with it. It is pretty much just a short wrap.

I have never owned/used an Ellaroo, but have seen one. It is definitely thinner than a Storch or Didy or the other German Syle Wovens. They definitely feel different. I don't find German Wovens difficult to knot at all, but can't comment on how it compares with the Ellaroo, since I haven't used an ER. :-)

margot
02-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Christine,
Thanks for all your comments. I registered at TBW and bought a Anna storch from someone. I can't wait to use it. I had a rebozo, but found it to be too short to do any carries that were comfortable for me, so I sold it.

ChristineG
02-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Oooooooooh, an Anna Storch! Beautiful! I bet you'll love it! Congrats. :)

cdmaze
02-02-2006, 05:32 PM
I just bought a Didy in Nora from a mom on TBW!!!! I'm so excited!!!!! Of course I'm sure you'll see me asking for suggestions on using it!!!!!

ChristineG
02-02-2006, 05:37 PM
:jump2 :highfive I saw that Nora!!! I'll bet you love it!! Congrats!! I'm so excited about all the budding wrappers, here! :)

Dana Joy
02-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Don't know if I count as a budding wrapper- cause my moby was my fav from birth till I saw my friends gypsy mama freeya wrap two months ago and went on TBW and got a used one for a great deal!!! :tu But since this is the ask Christine wrap questions thread- how do you think the heavier wraps you are talking about (that look beautiful btw.) hold up in a warmer climate? I'm in so- cal and I'm afraid I'll spend the money then never use it cause the GM is so much thinner and it never gets under 70 here- and if it does this wimpy mama wouldn't be taking the baby out anyway.

ChristineG
02-03-2006, 05:50 AM
I have asked this same question on TBW's wrappers board. Contrary to popular belief, it actually gets very hot and sticky where I live in Canada during the summer. (Similar to New England weather, cold in winter, but hot in summer.) I only started using German wraps in the early fall, so I can't personally comment. During the summer, I only had a crinkle cotton wrap that I made myself. There are several So. Cal. moms on TBW as well as some from Hawaii and Arizona, etc. Some say that they prefer Gypsy Mama Gauze in the summer, but most say they do fine with their German wraps, as long as they bunch up the straps well. However, the other thing they have said is that hot is hot whether you are carrying your baby in arms, a ring sling, a gypsy mama gauze or a Didy. So, I don't know if that really helps...but I don't really know! :giggle

Oh, and some people say that the 'waves' pattern Didys are cooler and airy-er than other German wovens, but still very supportive. Don't know...haven't had one, myself. :-)