PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard of

Chris3jam
01-24-2006, 10:26 AM
the connection between losing baby teeth and learning readiness -- specifically reading? I think I remember reading something like that once. . . .I cannot remember where to look to find out, though. . .. and does this mean that my boys are ready to 'learn' now? They are late teeth-losers. They are 8 and 9 and have just started losing their eye-teeth (?), I think they're eye teeth. . . .all they've lost till now were their front 4.

2sunshines
01-24-2006, 10:39 AM
There's a thread on this a little bit further down this forum:

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=40198.0

This Busy Mom
01-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, we must be an odd bunch. My ds and I both lost our teeth at a late age and read early (age 5) :shrug

Chris3jam
01-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Hmmm. I thought I remembered the Moores saying something about it. . . .but, it wasn't a hard and fast 'thing'. . just sort of a guideline. as in, don't push if the kid isn't ready, otherwise you can actually cause dyslexia. I've been trying very, very hard not to push. . .but I'm getting panicky. But. . .my 8 yo and 9 yo both just lost one of their eye teeth (?) a couple of days ago, and, after *years* of gently trying to get them to read (not pushing), they are actually showing much, much more interest. My 9 yo is actually trying. . .and he's trying to spell words all by himself. That just sounds too. . . ..pat. . . weird. . .funny. . to me. *clue in Twilight Zone music here*. I was just wondering about any sjpecifics that anyone would have. . .

Oh, and I was an early and prolific reader. . .but I don't remember about losing the teeth havng anything to do with it. I just liked to read, and enjoyed living in my fantasy worlds. :grin