PDA

View Full Version : Homeschool 3x/wk and Charter School 2x/week?

purplerose
01-20-2006, 11:33 AM
What do you think of this alternative?! My DD just turned 4 and I'm starting to FREAK OUT about her education. :nails I just don't know what to do. :scratch I'm just not hearing good things about the public school system in general here. Fortunately, the school that DD would go to is one of 3 Distinguished schools inour district. I'd love to put her in a private Christian school, but it's too expensive. My neighbor pulled her kids out of ps (due to large class sizes) and does the hs 3 days and the other 2 days they go to a charter school that is geared for hs'ing families. Any thoughts on this?! Thanks! :grin

erinee
01-20-2006, 11:43 AM
I would love to have that option. Personally, I'd do it. My kids are very social, and Zach really did love school. He misses it. My biggest problem is the sheer amount of time he's away and not having enough family time or time to teach him things I want him to know that the school doesn't teach. If he could go 2 days a week (even to the public school), I think it would be a great fit for us. But I also think it's a very individual choice, and I definitely think kids can get a great education *and* plenty of socialization with homeschooling alone.

Kasi
01-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I know someone in Arizona who uses a set up like this...and it works really well for her & her children--it's how the charter school's schedule works. I believe they supply her with the curriculum and she supplements what she feels is necessary. Not sure where you are, but Arizona seems to almost becoming innovative in alternative education. :)

MidnightCafe
01-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't know what kind of school the charter school is, but my BIL teaches at a school where the students come 2 days a week & they spend the rest of their time "homeschooling." It's called a "cyber academy" because the students are supposed to log into an on-line classroom on the days when they are at home. The curriculum is prescribed by the teachers. The students just spend more time at home than regular students, doing the work at home rather than at school. They attend all the regular classes when they are in school. So, it isn't exactly homeschooling in the sense that the parents guide the curriculum. It *is* homeschooling in the sense that the school requires one parent to be at home with the student on the days when they are not in school to guide them along in their homework & activities. So, if it's homeschooling you're looking for, you want to check to see how prescribed the curriculum of this 2-day-a-week school is. I think it would be a great idea for people who want their kids at home but don't want to plan what to teach.

My neighbor, on the other hand, is part of a homeschooling co-op & her daughter goes to "school" 2 days a week for special classes like geography, french, and art. Then her mom is responsible for covering all the rest of the subjects at home with her own curriculum. This might be a good option if you want to do more of the planning yourself, but you want your child to get some extr-curriculars and structured time away from home.

I don't have any personal experience yet. So, I can't say a whole lot else, but this is the way I've seen this work for other people.

threecubs
01-20-2006, 12:10 PM
If we had that option here, I'd do it in a heartbeat! :)

purplerose
01-20-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm in So Cal and it seems that many of the charter schools here do this. They do provide you with all the curriculum and etc. Then 2 days a week they go to school. But they get to do cool things......guitar lessons, pottery classes, science labs, etc. A lot of these classes are at the local YMCA.......rock climbing for P.E. Pretty cool, IMO!!! That's just what worries me is that my DD is soooooooooo social. She goes to preschool 2x a week and just LOVES it!!!! She just keeps talking about "when I get big and go to school", but I'm still on the fence about hs'ing vs. public school. If we could afford private school, I'd do that but it's like $400/month here (for 1/2 day Kindergarten! :eek ). I'm from AZ as well, and my SIL has her kids going to a charter school (full day everyday) but they are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of the regular ps kids in their area. I wish that was an option here where I live because I'd definately do that!!! Thanks for the input so far!!! :grin

Sara
01-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I would definitely consider an option like that if it were available to me. There are certain aspects of school that my dd loves -- mainly the social aspect :grin -- but we all agree that being away from home 35 + hours a week is a bit of overkill.

I would certainly explore the option more in-depth if I were you. Get some information from the school, etc.

AttachedMamma
01-21-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm wondering..if someone uses the charter school/homeschool situation, are you bound to use the curriculum of the charter school? :shrug

We're looking into a christian homeschool co-op group in our area. There are several, though I prefer the smaller one b/c I want to part of a small homeschooling community. It would be one day a week where DD can have some exposure to subjects that I would like help with. Plus I want her to have exposure to other HSing children. I would really prefer that DD's "friends" are like-minded Christians, though I suppose she may befriend some children in the neighborhood. From what I understand, the moms HSing have a variety of styles, so as an eclectic HSer I should fit in fine. I do not want to be told that I have to use a specific curriculum so any situation like that would not work for our family. The instructors there are either hired or are moms w/education in a specific field. I'm pretty sure I'll be helping out (everyone has duties, not that they are dropping off their children and leaving), but I'm not sure in what capacity. They also have some get togethers apart from the once-a-week "school". I think this will be a good fit for us and I'm checking out the place next week.

cindi