PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Mason and/or John Holt?

mommy2abigail
01-19-2006, 05:48 PM
I have a few of John Holts books, and really like them, and was wondering if you would suggest also reading Charlotte Mason? Is her method similar? Can the two be used together? Thanks!

Leslie
01-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I know some Charlotte Mason moms who love John Holt's books (although they don't use his "method," which is unschooling, I think.) I know some moms use some of CM's things, like narration, along with a relaxed approach that uses some of the strengths of unschooling.

There are lots of websites with info about Charlotte Mason. You might start here: http://www.amblesideonline.org/WhatIsCM.shtml

Then you can decide if it's for you or not, and whether you want to find out more by reading her books.

Sara
01-19-2006, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't call the methods similar, but I would still recommend reading up on Charlotte Mason. Even if you don't embrace her entire philosophy, there is still much to be gleaned from what she has written.

mommy2abigail
01-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Definately sounds like something I'd like t o read more about, thanks for the link. Now for what book to buy first..any suggestions?

Sara
01-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Well, there is probably a great deal of differing opinion, but I really enjoyed and got a lot out of The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola.

Leslie
01-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I agree. If you like a relaxed approach, then you'll love Karen Andreola's CM Companion!

motherbhaer
01-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Their methods are very different, but I think Charlotte Mason had a lot of great insight. She is actually the one who started me down my journey to a gentle discipline lifestyle. She believed that children were born people and deserved respect. I just took it further than she did. I wonder how far she would've taken it if she had lived in our day.

Definitely read Karen Andreola's CM Companion. You might also enjoy Educating the Whole-hearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson. It's very Charlotte Mason friendly.

I am very relaxed. Some would call us unschoolers, but I can't say that because we actually have copywork from time to time to add to our notebooks and we narrate after reading books together. It's all very relaxed, though. We don't test or memorize or do any worksheets.

We started spelling this month because my 11 yos wanted to learn to spell. So you see how relaxed we are.

Good luck in finding the right fit for your family.

Terri

ShangriLewis
01-23-2006, 03:36 PM
I've enjoyed both of them. I really like the big purple Charlotte Mason book. Is that the Andreaola one? I can't remember anything, but that it was big and purple. I think both Holt and Mason really loved children and saw how much children need in terms of activity and respect.

mommylori
01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
ambelside has all of cm series on the site for free to read! which is really nice also, they have it translated in modern english also! I also love cm companion but nothing competes with just reading her own writtings, if you know what i mean.lol I haven't read anything on John Holt so I ahev no idea if they are simular.lol Our library carried many books on CM so you might also check there! It saved me a ton of money!lol
Lori