PDA

View Full Version : Back Carriers

mommy2abigail
01-14-2006, 05:33 PM
I am thinking of getting a carrier that I can wear on my back. I have a wrap and a sling, but the wrap around the back thing, I just don't quite get. Can anyone recommend a good back carrier? I was thinking Ergo or Mei Tai?

hiddenhippie6
01-14-2006, 07:36 PM
I have heard lots of good things about Ergo. I plan on getting one at tax time, as they are a little pricey.

greenskittle
01-14-2006, 07:55 PM
If you trust yourself to sew one, it is sooooooo easy to make a mai tei. It takes a little patience, but it is fun to make stuff for your own use (and you save money) ;)

Dana Joy
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
it totally depends on the look and feel you want for the carrier - to me the ergo looks very mainstream- like back pack and it feels that way too. but many people like it. i love my mai tei so much i just bought a second- (yes i'm obsessed) the oringinal one i got was on e bay for $15, my new one is a mom tei with a sleeping hood and it cost me $65 on a swap and shop board. anyway the mei tei seems softer- less back-packy then the ergo and way cheaper- so i vote mei tei

hiddenhippie6
01-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Dana,

Is that the one that you are wearing in the pic? It does look less bulky then the Ergo. How far does it come up on baby's back? That is my biggest worry. :nails

Dana Joy
01-14-2006, 08:33 PM
in the pic i have a wrap- (Gypsy mama freeya wrap to be exact) so it can come up as high as I want on his back. my mei tai comes up to his arm pits- which is great when he's awake- the new one will have a hood i can pull over his head when he sleeps. Here is my old one
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/danalyn1972/nov026.jpg
and here is my friend wearing my new one
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/danalyn1972/momtaisleeping.jpg

Dana Joy
01-14-2006, 08:35 PM
mommy2abigail- i was just looking at your profile pic- is that the wrap your trying to use for back carries (you guys look beautiful btw) it looks stretchy- is it? I found it real hard to do a secure back carry in my moby which is stretchy- thats why i got the gypsy mama- its easier when there's no give.

hiddenhippie6
01-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Devona,
did you make one from a pattern? I love to sew and have made the OTSBH type slings. I am finding a real need for my dd to be on my back for cooking etc. I have never seen the mai tei type before. I am very interested because they can be so much less expensive.
Dana,
Thanks so much for the pics. Now I have a much better idea.

So glad this queston was brought up :up

kris10s
01-15-2006, 01:21 AM
I made a Mei Tai and my daughter HATED it and she loves the Ergo. :shrug Toddlers are picky babywearing consumers!

mommy2abigail
01-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I do think that the Ergo looks more mainstream, and that was my only hesitation. I know that's silly but...Anyway, I think I might try to make a mei tai. Anyone have a pattern or even just basic measurements? I'm sure I could figure it out, but it would help to have something to go on. The wrap in the picture is actually just a piece of gauze, 100% cotton, so it has a little stretch, but not too much. I have a moby too, but yeah, it's too stretchy and I feel like if she leans back she'll fall out. Anyone know of a way to get them on your back? I tried the over the shoulder thing, but she is WAY too wiggly and I can't keep her on my back long enough to get the wrap all tied! Thanks!-Natalia

hiddenhippie6
01-15-2006, 06:35 PM
ME TOO! ME TOO! If anyone knows of a pattern or measurements I would like them as well. I would prefer to make one rather then spending the money on a Ergo. I tried putting my dd on my back the other night. She did not like it. She wanted to be in FRONT! :hissyfit :shrug I just used a large cloth. I met some refugee women from Africa and they showed me how they carried their babies with just a large cloth. That was a cool experience!!! :tu It seems that if you don't start them early with a certain type of sling they just don't do well with the change. I have always used OTSBH with her. I did see some beautiful Mei Tai on Ebay. They were still 50-60 dollars. I hate to spend it if she might not like it. What to do???? :scratch

greenskittle
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Let me see if I can find the pattern I used. It was really rough, but I liked that better so that I could customize it for my own needs...

http://www.sewing.2ya.com/Projects/SlingAsian.htm

that's the link I used. One thing that I know I changed is that I made the straps a little wider, and per Katidid's invention, I pleated the top straps when they went into the body. I also padded the straps with fleece so they were super sturdy and comfy on my shoulders.

Another thing that I did that I think makes a big difference in how the body fits over your baby is that I put 3 inch darts in the body about an inch above where they top straps come in, and that seems to make a more snug hold on your baby, and I know it made Liv feel more secure.

Maybe If I'm feeling feisty I'll draw up a pattern for what I made and I'll pm it to anyone who's interested. :shrug Let me know :)

hiddenhippie6
01-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks so much for the pattern!!! I would love to see what you come up with too!!!
Am I just paranoid or is there a chance of baby falling out the side of the carrier?
I want to use this mostly on my back so I am a little worried. :blush

Dana Joy
01-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Am I just paranoid or is there a chance of baby falling out the side of the carrier?

It may be hard to see but the top straps go over your shoulders, across your chest and under their armpits- then get tied there- i have seen people tie it under the babies bum, but I had the same fear so by tying it where I'm describing- there's no wat to slip out sideways.

Thanks for the responses. I do think that the Ergo looks more mainstream, and that was my only hesitation. I know that's silly but...
Well you can call me silly too- ;)
Anyone know of a way to get them on your back? wigglyness is definately an issue over here- at first I only did back carries if dh or one of my stepsons was around to hold him on my back- it took a good month of doing it this way before he "got" it. Now I put him over my shoulder- then I hold his little hands around my neck with one hand (my left- I'm hopelessly right handed) then I get enough done with my right hand that I feel comfortable letting go. The whole time I'm bent over so my back is flat parralell to the floor. HTH!!!

hiddenhippie6
01-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks Dana!!
I think that is a much better place to tie it. The one I saw was under thier bum, but I think it would be much safer the way you described. Now all I have to do is make one :woohoo

mommy2abigail
01-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Thank you so much for the pattern! I am going to try to make one, I'll let you know how it turns out. I am thinking of using flannel, anyone ever used it for a wrap/sling before? I made a sling out of it, and I love it. It is so soft and cuddly, but it doesn't stretch too much. Plus it's nice for cooler weather-we live in FL, so cold weather here is in the mid 70's! -Natalia

greenskittle
01-16-2006, 06:23 PM
I think flannel would be great, but I would double it so that the body is really secure. And be sure that you reinforce the straps so they don't have too much stress on the one seam, and pull out. I think that flannel can fray more easily, so I'd be extra cautious with the straps.

Jenne
01-17-2006, 11:40 PM
As for getting dd to not wiggle so much when you're putting them on your back. 2 things... well, 3 really.

1. stickers! Put some on your shoulders and upper back... v. interesting to little ones.... and younger babes should get a long entertainment from trying to pull them off. Older ones, it's a race to see if you can get them secure before all the stickers are gone.

2. Cheerios (or other 'O' cereal) strung on yarn or curling ribbon. Babies who are at the stage of liking these as finger foods will have fun puzzling how to get them off (I put a small knot to keep the 'O's on the string, but enough pressure from dd pulling gets them over the knot).

3. Any toys tied to strings. I just tuck the string in my bra strap and toss it over my shoulder.

I'm still new at back carries in my wrap, but this would work great for Mai teis too... and it's really helped us get past that beginning stage!

mommy2abigail
01-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Jenne, you are soooo smart! I am going to try these ideas, although not the stickers 'cause Abby will eat them! But the Cheerio's sound great! The other night we tried to get her on my back and she got sooooo MAD and I got so frustrated we gave up. I'll try again today! Thanks! -Natalia

hiddenhippie6
01-20-2006, 10:08 PM
:ty Thanks so much for the pattern!!!! You saved me soooo much! I used some fabric that I had saved from an old sling. So, I only had to buy some for the straps. :tu $6 is all it cost me!!! YEA :highfive
Here is a pic with Hannah in it.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/colettes6/th_wrap.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/colettes6/wrap.jpg)

greenskittle
01-21-2006, 08:01 AM
That looks so great! :tu Looks like she really like it too! Happy wearing!

ChristineG
01-22-2006, 05:52 AM
:jump2 WAY to go!!!!! That looks great!! :tu :tu

miryam
01-23-2006, 03:27 PM
For my back, I love my mei tai and wraps. BabyHawk mades wonderful Mei Tais and Gypsy Mama has wonderful wraps!

hiddenhippie6
01-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks! I can't believe how light it feels!! She really does like it. She fell asleep in it yesterday while I was cleaning. :tu