PDA

View Full Version : What baby carrier to use at a preschool coop?

Learninggentleness
01-12-2006, 09:00 PM
My son goes to a preschool coop and I have work days where I have to bring my daughter. I'd like to have her on my back though instead of my front. Any suggestions for a good carrier for an almost 9 month old (she's a big girl - tall and strong) to be worn in while I play with the children or prepare things for them at the coop?

Mia
01-13-2006, 11:10 AM
It might be helpful to decide if you want her "up front" with you or out of your way in the back. If she is like my Dd was, she'll be reaching for things. I found that when I'm "working" I'd rather have Dd "out of the way". I used my backpack-like carrier (it's a Snuggli) for things like cooking and light cleaning (if I didn't have to bend over) alot. I liked it for long periods because it took the pressure off my upper back by putting all the weight on my hips. However, I always felt like (to other people) that I looked like I was about to go on a hike :giggle. I also own slings and a mei-hip, but with both of these, doing anything too intensive meant having her hands getting in the way and one of my arms restrained. I tried-on a Mei Tai once and thought it was very comfortable. It's very soft and baby hangs low in the back. If it were me, I think I would probably go with this one. It would keep your hands and arms completely free and and there would probably be enough stimulation from her POV in the back, that she wouldn't complain about not being "up front" with you. Try to find someone locally who sells a variety and try on for comfort.

Radosny Matka
01-13-2006, 08:34 PM
I'd recommend a wrap. It''s comfy and offers a lot of support for the back.

kris10s
01-13-2006, 08:37 PM
I would use an Ergo. It's so comfy. I've picked apples from an orchard with a 15 month old while 7 months pregnant!