PDA

View Full Version : Time to search for a testing option--help!

TestifyToLove
01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Okay, state law requires (and I quote)

"Students in home study programs shall be subjected to an appropriate nationally standardized testing program administered in consultation with a person trained in administration and interpretation of norm reference tests to evaluate their educational progress at least every three years beginning at the end of the third grade and records of such tests and scores shall be retained but shall not be required to be submitted to public educational authorities."

Okay, so I've got a 3rd grader that this applies to. We don't normally bother with tests, since I teach to competency and he does NOT test well. I've already started talking to him about this test and explaining that while he has to take one, there is no right nor wrong way to take it. I've already told him that he will not be told what he scores and Mommy will be the ONLY person who ever knows.

Its also my intention to test him at the second grade level, given that we already know he's academically behind due to his past. And, given that he has some serious ESL issues related to this being his 3rd language.

But, Dh and I agreed that we would do these annually in order to allow the children to become comfortable with the format without pressure so that someday they can sit for college entrance tests.

So, I would prefer a test that isn't timed. And, if possible, one that I might be able to read to him, since his personal reading comprehension is his biggest ESL struggle right now.

Any recommendations on what tests might fit the bill for us? As far as I can tell, I've got a wide latitude on what tests I actually use based upon how the law is written. I know the local homeschool group does the CAT's altogether. But, I think that would be a HUGE mistake for him and I'm not interested in that option.

Tell me what options are out there PLEASE!

MomTo7
01-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Missouri doesn't require testing so not real sure but I know that all the schools around here let the home schoolers test when they do at the school with parent present for the price of the test. The results get sent back to the parent. Might ask at the school. :shrug

I do use things from http://www.kidtest.com/standardtestprep.html I have been happy with them.

ShangriLewis
01-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Here is one for Washington State. But, I think they may work with other states. I don't have much more time before I have to be out the door, though. It's what everyone in my area uses. It's what I will be using this year.

http://www.familylearning.org/testing.html