PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling Curriculum

jmom
01-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi! I am starting to look into the possibility of homeschooling my ds when the time is right. I want to give myself enough time to evaluate the curriculums out there (I have about a year before kindergarten). :D Anyway... Where is a good place to get an overall sense of what's out there, and is there a composite listing of all that's available to homeschool? Can you pick and choose curriculums between studies? Like Math one org. and Science another? I never thought I would homeschool, but with the cost of private school and our financial situation, public school is out of the question for us as well. So, I would like to know what I'm getting into before waiting till the last minute to decide. Are there any Expo type of things for Homeschoolers to get a handson feel of what's out there? I know I'm asking a lot, but like I said, I don't know anything really. :O

Julia

joandsarah77
01-10-2006, 04:48 PM
http://homeschoolreviews.com/ Thats my favorite site to look over other peoples opinions of hs curriculum. Not that it's all there, but a lot is.
There are homeschooling conventions wich curriculum supliers attend. Hopfuly someone has a site or some way of finding out about those over in America for you.

Piper2
01-10-2006, 08:04 PM
The HSLDA website has conference listings that seem to be pretty complete, at least for the major ones.

If you're anywhere in the southeast, there's a big expo in Atlanta the last weekend in July that's WONDERFUL! :tu

acrunchymama
01-11-2006, 06:46 PM
yes you can use different curriculums for different subjects.
www.hslda.org will answer legal questions for you
.try reading mary hood's books- the joyful homeschooler and the relaxed homeschooler.
good homeschooling mags to read ( with addys to get catalogs on different curriclums) are the old schoolhouse and practical homeschooling ( they have websites too)
sonlight is expensive but has everything you need in one box- if you want to go the literature based route
alpha omega is 10 workbooks for each subject but all is included in each book. simply give the test or quiz as it appears . no teacher planning needed! i always recommend this to beginners. www.ao.com is their website

saxon is well known as a great math curriculum. www.saxonpublishers.com even has free placement tests for you to give.

after hsing for 12 1/2 yrs i have a lot of info but don't know if i should continue lol let me know! lol

motherbhaer
01-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi. Just wanted to let you know about the Elijah Company. They put out a catolog that gives a good overview of different educational philosophies. It's great to give you a feel for the different types of curriculums. Most curriculums fit an educational philosophy and knowing something about your philosophy will help you weed things out at curriculum fairs and such. The conferences can be very intimidating if you don't know where to start.

You can pick and choose from different sources. We've never bought a "curriculum in a box" in all our years homeschooling.

Hope this helps.
Terri

jmom
01-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Thank you for all your replies... I probably will need more information later, but I think you've given me a great start. I got the answers I was looking for to start investigating our choices. I'm sure I will be checking back in once I've overviewed the curriculum options out there, to see what other experienced moms think.

Again, Thank you all for taking the time to respond. :hug

Mamatoto
01-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Julia, you might like Oak Meadow curriculum for Kindergarten. I guess it really depends what you are looking for. Something very creative/artsy or very academic or in between? Some curriculums you can get a whole package and it's pretty much done for you. Or you can pick and choose between math and English from different sources. I know there are also some great h/s co-ops in your area. :-)

There is a big homeschooling expo at the Harrisburg Farm Show arena...I'll have to find out the dates for you. It's huge. :tu

jmom
01-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Oooo... Yes. Please get those dates..... :O) I would love to go, even if it's just to see what's out there, and not pick anything yet. THanks.

Julia

SueQ
01-18-2006, 12:10 AM
There is a big homeschooling expo at the Harrisburg Farm Show arena...I'll have to find out the dates for you. It's huge. :tu

It's Mother's Day weekend, May 12-13, 2006. ;) Here (http://www.chaponline.com) is the info.