PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a second language

Mama Calidad
01-09-2006, 12:28 PM
For those who have taught their children to read in two or more languages, how much time did you leave between introducing the first language and the second?

DD is reading well at level 1. She is so excited to be reading! She's always been a bookworm and now she can read to herself when mama or papa doesn't have time right this second to read a book. :read

There are some differences ;) in how vowels are pronounced in English and Spanish and I don't want to confuse her, but I don't want to hold her back either. :nails I was thinking to start in the fall.

tempus vernum
01-09-2006, 01:07 PM
:popcorn

Epieikeia
01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
We are doing Latin with ds1. We started last summer (he is 8) and is doing very well with it. :grin

We didn't start Latin until this past year as for us teaching English and Latin seemed too difficult for dh and I.

But, I was wondering if it might be different for your dd as she does speak the language? So, maybe it wouldn't be as confusing for her? :shrug

You could always try to teach both and then see how it goes. If both are too confusing you could always drop one. Or you could do English during this year and start the Spanish in the summer and then try Spanish and English together next fall? Just some ideas........my cousins grew up in a bilingual home (English/German), but I don't know when they were taught to read and write German...they were taught to speak German and English from birth.

I will say that ds is picking up Latin a lot quicker than I did in high school and for us 8 was a good age. :grin