PDA

View Full Version : What to use with BOB books?

MagnoliaMommy
01-07-2006, 01:24 PM
If you use BOB books, what type of phonics/reading program do you use alongside them?
Just doing some research for the next year. :-)

Sara
01-07-2006, 01:42 PM
We used Simply Phonics from Shoelace Books (a Charlotte Mason approach to phonics) and had good success with that. The nice thing about the BOB books is that I think they would nicely compliment just about any phonics program that you would choose to use (as long as it didn't come with readers - then you wouldn't necessarily need the BOB books, but they would still be a nice addition). We really loved the BOB books! :-)

MagnoliaMommy
01-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks, Sara! :-)

I checked out Simply Phonics and I liked the format. I guess there isn't a book available anymore...the website says that everything is now on CDrom. Which is nice if you want to use the program for more than one child.

I am also looking into Hooked on Phonics. I originally thought it was way too expensive, but I just realized that I have been looking at the deluxe edition...I didn't realize that they had a kindergarten package too. It is more in my price range.

We have BOB books at our library...so that is a neat resource. I guess I still have a while to decide...I doubt we'll start anything until this coming fall. :-)

chie96
01-07-2006, 07:46 PM
We use 100EL and DD loves it. I checked it out at the library before buying and DD took to it right away. We are about halfway through andshe is reading very well. She was actually reading c-v-c words prior to starting 100EL but we really wanted her to learn phonics.