PDA

View Full Version : Anyone unschool?

mommy2abigail
01-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Unschooling makes sense to me, I loved t o learn as a kid but hated school and would have done much better if I was allowed too persue some of my own interests. I am definitely going to homeschool Abby, but I am unsure of some things. If anyone unschools and can help me out with these concerns, I'd really appreciate it!
1. How are you sure that they are learning what they 'need' to be learning? Even though we wouldn't be following a curriculum, I feel like I would want to have one just as a reference for myself...
2. How do you know when/what to introduce certain things. I can remember the age that I started multiplication for example. I'd for Abby to turn 15 and not know how to multiply, because I forgot to add that into our learning! (ok that was a poor example, but you get what I mean!)
3. Any books you would recommend?
4. Any websites?
5. I know that unschooling is completely against curriculums, but if I was on the fence about it, what is the most unschooling 'like' curriculum? Could I combine curriculum learning with unschooling, for instance if one day the curriculum says to teach about ancient Rome and that sparks a conversation about something else, we could go off the curriculum and follow her lead?
6. Any idea where I could get the state requirements for homeschooling? (we are in FL) I think all we have to do is submit a written form that states in general what we did for the year, as far as I know there is no journal, or test requirements, but I could be wrong!
Thank you in advance! -Natalia

MamaBeth
01-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I do, but I might not be the best to answer your questions. You can get your state laws from HSLDA http://www.hslda.org

PurpleButterfly
01-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Florida does currently require standardized testing by a certified teacher - there are plenty who specialized in making themselves available to the hs community. Depending on exactly where you are, there are quite a few large support groups throughout the state. :)

I have an almost six yo and we are somewhere between unschooling and relaxed/eclectic homeschooling. I pursue "delight driven learning", and my goal is to keep that spark of joy in learning alive through to adulthood. We don't follow specific curricula, but I do own lots of stuff we enjoy using when we feel like it. We do a lot in the community, enjoy artsy projects/adventures, and spend oodles of time at the library and bookstore. :)

There are so many wonderful books and articles that would be very helpful to you right now with your questions (which are valid and you'll feel better about after finding your niche), let me see if I can find some suggestions for you:

http://www.unschooling.com/library/faq/index.shtml

http://www.home-educate.com/unschooling/

http://home.rmci.net/abell/

http://www.home-educate.com/unschooling/unimportance.htm

http://www.naturalchild.com/guest/earl_stevens.html

Learning All the Time
by John Holt

The Unschooling Handbook:How to Use the Whole World As Your Child's Classroom
by Mary Griffith

Is your dd a toddler or preschooler now? :)

arymanth
01-07-2006, 04:57 PM
This is my 8th year of homeschooling, and we have been gradually moving more and more into an "unschooling" approach along the way. I don't follow any particular philosophy about "unschooling"... I go by my own ideas, so they may not line up with what other "unschoolers" do or believe.

1. How are you sure that they are learning what they 'need' to be learning? Even though we wouldn't be following a curriculum, I feel like I would want to have one just as a reference for myself...

When I started, I used the "What every First (second, etc.) grader needs to know" books as a guide, as well as buying "comprehensive curriculum" workbooks from Sams/Walmart, just so I would know what they "should" be learning in which grade. I have only recently decided that I really don't care what kids learn in which grade in public school. It only frustrates me and makes me doubt myself when I see that my kids are all over the place if I start comparing them... sometimes "ahead", sometimes "behind", and sometimes "at grade level".... but that can change in such a short time... in 3 months they might be "caught up", or they might have surged ahead again.... or there might be no change at all for awhile. For me, it is a long-term project... and I've learned that many times if you allow kids to learn at their own pace, they can learn a lot in a very short time. My only real "goals" are for them to be able to read well so they can learn whatever they want to know in life.... to write well enough to be able to make themselves understood to others.... to understand the fundamental principles of math so they can do what they want and need to do in their lives. When it comes to history and science, I am much more likely to allow them to follow their own interests, and I try to spark curiousity and interest whenever possible. (by using PBS specials, visiting historic places or science-related places like nature centers or science museums) Mostly I try to help them find what their passions or interests are and to persue them.

2. How do you know when/what to introduce certain things. I can remember the age that I started multiplication for example. I'd for Abby to turn 15 and not know how to multiply, because I forgot to add that into our learning! (ok that was a poor example, but you get what I mean!)

The fact is that every child will be "ready" to learn these things on their own individual schedules... just like rolling over, sitting up or walking. Some will grasp them earlier than others, some will seem to take quite a bit longer, and yet be perfectly normal. My own son did not even learn to read until he was 9 1/2... but it only took him a few months before he was reading things like The Chronicles of Narnia. :-) My 6yo enjoys playing many computer games that are supposed to be for 8-12 year olds, she plays chess and understands quite a bit of math concepts. She is still learning how to read.... and yet understands contractions and grammar concepts like the difference between nouns and verbs. So is she "ahead" or "behind"? LOL My approach is to just offer the information on a regular basis (make sure it is always available) and let them pick it up as they are ready to do so. I've found that even though you can teach rote memorization of things like multiplication tables at a young age, most kids don't have the logic and reasoning skills to really understand the concepts behind the process until they are much older. It has been much more effective to wait until my kids are older to teach these things when they actually understand what they are doing and not just spitting back memorized answers. It is actually FUN to learn how to juggle numbers and make them do tricks once you understand how they work. It's like being in on the secret of a magic trick! :mrgreen As for missing things (like multiplication)... if you make learning a part of every-day life, you won't miss anything. :-) I start ideas like division by using whatever my kids are doing.... 15 beanie babies divided among 3 kids... how many beanie babies do they each get? How many cookies does each child get (count the number of cookies we have) and how many are left over (mommy's share)? Cutting pizza and measuring things for cooking are great ways to spend time with your kids AND teach fractions... especially when you have to double recipes. Sticks of butter are great for fractions! Everywhere you go and everything you do can be an opportunity to drop in a little nugget of information. We talk about inertia, accelleration and other physics principles while we're in the van (also seatbelt safety!). Working in the garden teaches all sorts of science if you will only take the time to explain what you are doing. Playing in the dish water can be science if you take the time to explain the "whys". (why does soap make bubbles? Why does the water "heap" on top of a cup? Why does a drop of soap make grease move out of the way?) Reading good stories can open fabulous windows into history and other cultures. There is no age limit on these things, each child can learn as much as they can understand at the time, which lets you teach more than one child at a time of different ages. If you don't know or remember these things... look for resources and learn them along with your kids. I LOVE watching Bill Nye the Science Guy, Magic Schoolbus, and other science shows. We all learn together. I have learned never to put an age limit on learning. My kids LOVED to listen to me read "Lord of the Rings" (something generally thought of as for teens/adults) when they were only 4, 6, 8 and 10!!! They listened to "Swiss Family Robinson" (unabridged!) at the same ages.... something I would have thought was for much older kids! Now I know to introduce "classics" as young as they show any interest in them. We use lots of books on tape for this, so they can color or work on puzzles or play with Legos while they listen. It has given them a tremendous vocabulary and has been a great tool for learning about good writing.

5. I know that unschooling is completely against curriculums, but if I was on the fence about it, what is the most unschooling 'like' curriculum? Could I combine curriculum learning with unschooling, for instance if one day the curriculum says to teach about ancient Rome and that sparks a conversation about something else, we could go off the curriculum and follow her lead?

I don't think "unschooling" has to mean "no curriculum"... I have lots of curriculum... we just use it how and when we want and don't let it dictate what we do. I pick and choose out of the books what I want to use and leave the rest. You might feel more comfortable starting with something like Konos, which is a unit study approach... it has tons of resources in it. I liked it, but I found it a little too complicated for me.

Well, this got longer than I anticipated. LOL I hope it helped!

Stephanie

mommy2abigail
01-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Thank you for all of your reply's. Abby is only 9 months old right now...I know, I'm thinking way ahead here...It's just my super organized, neurotic self! Anyway, I have read the unschooling handbook, and have ordered some of John Holt's books, they should be here soon! I'm going to check out some of the websites mentioned too. Thanks again!-Natalia

motherbhaer
01-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Hi. We are considered by some to be unschoolers. I think we are just very relaxed. However, we do homeschool in FL. I have homeschooled in AL and here in FL and they are both great states to homeschool in.

In FL you have several options. Given my unschoolish attitudes, we have opted for the least intrusive by the state. You can either register with your county as homeschoolers. If you do that you have to either have your child evaluated by a certified evaluator, use standardized testing, or have a psychologist evaluate your child. I think if you register as a homeschooler in your county you have to keep a portfolio.

The option that we chose was to register with an umbrella group. In our group, all we are required to do is send in attendance records and immunization records. Don't worry, if you don't immunize you can send in an objection based on religious beliefs. It's very easy. The director of my umbrella group says that any day your child learns something is a day to count. I think we have to do either 175 or 180 days. You can count days in the summer, weekends; it's very flexible.

We have joined a support group just to make friends and have activities. This works great for us! You live in a great state to homeschool. There are many options.

Terri

motherbhaer
01-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi again. I wanted to make sure I was clear. In FL, you can either register as a homeschooler with your county or you can join and umbrella group. If you choose an umbrella group, you don't register as a homeschooler. If you do choose to register as a homeschooler with your county, then you have to have your child evaluated. There are several options for you if you do that.

We love being in the umbrella group. It's sooo easy and doable for an unschooler. If you need more info you can pm me. I'll be glad to help.

Terri

PurpleButterfly
01-11-2006, 09:41 AM
I believe you register as a hs'er either way, either independently or under the cover/umbrella school who keeps track of your records for you and reports on your behalf to the county. :)

MamaLovesDaddy
01-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I am also in an unbrella group and I love it. Your child is not registered as a homeschooler, you are registered as being in a private school. You effectively become one of the school's "teachers" and your children are enrolled as students. I have 100% freedom and there are only limited requirements: come to teachers meetings 4 x's a year, register each year with an attendance record and report card. When you originally become a part of the school you give them a written list of yours & hubby's education background (including homelearning - like for us it would be herbology, astronomy, etc.), your testimony, your philosophy of education and the immunization records (just as any private school would require - and you can sign a waver, too).

I am an extreme relaxed homeschooler who uses the occasional curriculum. I like to call it eclectic homeschooling. We use unschooling, relaxed and classical styles. We read ALOT of literature out loud, use chips and games for math concepts, let the kids do their own science experiments, lots of art, sewing, etc. Our primary reader is the Bible and the character /wisdom studies that come from every passage we could possibly read. I think one of my favorite books for bible study with a little one is called "Leading Little Ones to God" It is so basic and the kids loved it. The nice thing about "unschooling" is that you are not tied to cirriculums like other styles would be. But for me, I do use some as I may feel at the time they are convenient or necessary. Like printing books such as draw write now which combines writing with drawing. I also wanted them to be able to write in cursive so I picked up a book they can work on each day to practice in. We try not to make it a drudgery which is my whole reason for wanting a more relaxed unschooled type of an atmosphere. But I have also learned that my kids thrive more in a routine oriented lifestyle, so school is part of our routine - although it is not the same everyday, except for our Bible and Lit reading (which to them is mind candy). I have the Singapore math cirriculum that I may begin using when they are older, and have used some other math books, mostly for their visuals, to teach about money handling and reading time (but mostly it was my own thing that I put together as I went along since they wanted to know how to tell time!). We also search around online to find good and fun learning websites. There are tons out there. I usually do a search and go in and try them out myself and then show the kids and let them have at it. (there are lots of boring ones and just as many fun ones out there! I try to stick to the fun ones that teach the same ideas). A couple of my fav's are: http://www.starfall.com for reading and letter recognition with preschoolers up to early elementary (very fun), and for math my daughter likes http://www.funbrain.com/brain/MathBrain (it's follows a "board game" type path where each new step introduces a new game to practice math concepts). There are many more, too many to list here!

I guess I am too much of a rebel at heart (probably a residual from my own public schooling) to become an official "unschooler" or a "Classical Style Family". We are just doing what seems to come naturally for our family - and what seems best for our children. They are thriving and my eldest who is 8 and never seen a reading curriculum is reading at a 5th grade or higher reading level. Mostly because it is her deep desire to do so. My second child who loves to hear books read outloud, and has been taught along with her sister in reading, just has no desire to get better at it and is nowhere near where her sister was at her age. She is more insterested in tactile things and art. I feel good about this! She is working within her giftedness and her little mind grows daily as she explores the world around her and learns to know the God who created it all, including her. I know she'll like to read someday when she's ready for it.

Anyway - there's my 2 cents for what it's worth ;)