PDA

View Full Version : really strange question

milkmommy
01-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Last night I had a heart felt conversation with DH about homeschooling Cecilia in the future. We talked and agreed we wanted to keep her in the preschool progam she was in and would countinue her next year. We then talked about kindergarden the fact all were going to all day programs that that was something we didn't care for. I talked about what HS could really mean because I know he just pictures issolated kids who never learn or some kinda weird cult :rolleyes.
I talked about my research. How with Cecilias speach is improving and in time we will probably not even tell she had a problem but right now we can. That shes very smart but her speach could be dismissed by some as "slower'. How I know he believes some basic needed skills aren't being taught anymore and how we can provide it. How we can taylor a program to fit her needs etc... We talked about AZ being on of the easier states to HS and that we could propably find support and that I knew you guys would help. I asked that we at least consider it for the younger years. and that we could always put her in school if it didn't work..
In the end he agreed he agreed to be open to HS till cecilia was in 6th grade. Then we would take the next step...
Then I WOKE UP. :hissyfit :banghead It was all soo real but it was all a dream!!!! but now I'm wondering if it is time to really siit down and talk. The above reflects about 90% of my feelings like maybe I will find a program I just love :shrug but it bugs the heck outta me that HS is just being yanked off the table because of someone too stubborn to even give it a seconds thought. His biggest answer fo Not wanting in the past was. "I don't need my children hating me' the other is "I thought you were going back to work when they got into school?" so now I'm torn.... Do I say something is it the right time? Am I just strange..

Deanna

expatmom
01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Your dd has another year and a half before Kindergarten right? So you have lots of time for discussion. :tu Can you prepare your dh for the impending discussion & set aside some time where you know he will really listen? Almost like booking an appointment with him?

Can you delve more into what he thinks his kids will hate about him, if you homeschool? There are probably valid underlying concerns that maybe could be addressed in different ways so it could be a win/win situation for both of you. For someone who is really resistant to the idea, he may need to see it in action before agreeing to it long term. Maybe together you can negotiate a goal of just Kindergarten & then agreeing to re-evaluate according to a criteria that you both agree upon?

And as far as you going back to work when your kids are in school, hopefully :pray by the time your dd is school ready you will have another little one who will keep you at home.

milkmommy
01-06-2006, 09:41 AM
:yes we have time :O She won't be elligiable for Kindergarden because of the birthday till Fall of 2008! :O It just seemed sooo real I actually layed in bed for like 20 mintues deciding if it was real or not. :hunh

Deanna

Singingmom
01-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Oh, I was so excited about that until you woke up! :hug2

My dh was resistant to hsing and still has issues with doing it as they get older, because of his own personal experiences. To him, school and sports were the only places where anything really good ever happened for him. School was his safe place, not home. So it took a lot of patience on my part, I prayed a lot, talked some, and he finally admitted that it wasn't that way for our boys. Even though he knows that, he still worries that they'll miss out on so much in high school without competetive sports and so forth, so we may be putting them in later on so they don't become geeks. ;) I'm still praying about that.

It would be worth a lot to find out what your dh's real, deep issues are. I'm sure there are reasons he feels like he does. The best thing you can do besides pray is show him by your example as you teach Cecelia at home how she is thriving, has opportunities to be with other kids, and doesn't hate you.

Save good articles you come across to share with him, even if you save them all up for that day when he's open enough to want to hear about it. :hug

ArmsOfLove
01-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Do you think this could totally be a money issue and him discounting homeschooling because he is assuming that you will be going back to work and contributing financially? I know you guys have been very tight with money and with his line of work the money isn't rolling in. could that be at the foundation of this do you think???

hsgbdmama
01-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Another ***option*** you might want to look into, Deanna, is a Virtual Charter School (VCS) ... you would be able to keep her at home, and depending on the way your state works, she might be qualified to get the speech therapy she needs, since a VCS is a public school, paid for with your tax dollars.

Here is the K12 run school site: http://www.k12.com/ and the school in AZ http://www.azva.org/

As with anything, there are pros and cons with this education solution, so you need to really investigate it and see if it would work for your family.

:hug

milkmommy
01-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Do you think this could totally be a money issue and him discounting homeschooling because he is assuming that you will be going back to work and contributing financially? I know you guys have been very tight with money and with his line of work the money isn't rolling in. could that be at the foundation of this do you think???

No I've said before that when ALL our kids are old enough I'd like to return to work at least part time, since we still are planning at least one more child he knows that wouldn't be for a number of year yet. We are in complete agreement that I serve our family better at home than in a job. He thinks I might regret being home to school them...
Hes more worried about our children hating HS, he cannot imangine what it would have been like to be stuck with HIS mother all day school was his haven. :no2 He also imangines Cecilia being shut away. Truthfully that actually 'is" a concern living here but like I said I would just like him to be open to the possiblity...

Deanna

Leslie
01-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Maybe talking to some homeschooled students, especially high-school age and homeschool graduates, would ease his mind. Homeschooling isn't anymore of a guarantee that your kids will hate you than sending them to public school is.

My kids don't hate me for homeschooling them. :shifty

milkmommy
01-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Maybe talking to some homeschooled students, especially high-school age and homeschool graduates, would ease his mind. Homeschooling isn't anymore of a guarantee that your kids will hate you than sending them to public school is.

My kids don't hate me for homeschooling them. :shifty

I don't know any IRL...
Deanna

SueQ
01-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Deanna,
Do a google search under homeschooling and your area. I am sure that you could find some homeschool groups somewhere near you. Then call them and tell them that you are interested in homeschooling. That is what I did before my children were homeschooling age. I didn't even know that my church had a homeschooling group :O until I started asking around! :O Then the head of the homeschooling group was glad to talk to me about the laws, testing and all kinds of things. She also told me that her dh was very hesitant until she drug him to a homeschooling conference before her oldest was school age. When he saw that homeschool parents and families were normal people and saw how happy and well socialized the children really where he came around and now is very supportive and gung ho homeschooling.

HTH

milkmommy
01-08-2006, 05:31 PM
the google turned up nothing I joined a local HS meet up type group never herd a response and fininally was informed it was deactivated. I'm positive other HS in this town just not sure how to find them... :rolleyes
I'm a bit frustrated at this point because I was a member on a few other sights to learn about HS forthe future but have been basically dismissed (an one lady emailed me asking I not return) because we opted to put DD in preschool..
Deanna

hsgbdmama
01-08-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm a bit frustrated at this point because I was a member on a few other sights to learn about HS forthe future but have been basically dismissed (an one lady emailed me asking I not return) because we opted to put DD in preschool..

It's good that you found out about the tone of this group up front so you can stay out of it. :(

Have you checked HSLDA's site to see if they can point you to anything? :shrug

milkmommy
01-08-2006, 06:40 PM
thanks and I agree better to know now
Have you checked HSLDA's site to see if they can point you to anything?
I think but I'm going to double check to make sure I'm thinking of the same thing. Last I checked they showered a 'local" help site :highfive but when I looked further it was a welcome for all in this area to join the phonix chapter super know lots of great PHX moms :mrgreen but its also 4 hours away hard to get 'local support" I emailed the someone for more information and was told I was the first to ask in for ever. Once I thought I'd found somebody and it turned out to be another kind GCM mom also looking for support for me. :giggle :heart but I may be thinking of something totally diffrent..

Deanna