PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling Freak OUT

rosesnsnails
01-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Talk me down off the ceilling. I feel like giving up. I feel like I am failing my dc. My ds is 7.5 can read some, hates to write, and just wants to play most of the time. He is bright and does some great mental math, but in so many ways he is "behind." I know, I know, I shouldn't compare, but when my friend talks about the books her 6 year old is reading, and I see a 5 year old boy practicing his cursive, I start to FREAK OUT!!!!!!

Singingmom
01-04-2006, 02:59 PM
The mom of the 5 yr old practicing cursive should be freaking out, not you! :hug It's not good for his vision to be doing that yet.

You should get hold of some of John Holt's books and Raymond and Dorothy Moore's as well. Even if you don't get fully on board with their philosophy of delaying schooling, you'll be encouraged by the very well researched info about how it benefits kids to wait until around age 9 to begin sit down work.

This is the same ds with the vision issues? He's had so much going on this year, it's not at all surprising that he's not seeming ready for school. It's harder for him than for other kids to concentrate on reading and writing, and one of the reasons you're hsing is to tailor things to his needs. I'd do lots of oral work. Letting him narrate instead of write (very age appropriate, even without vision problems -- Charlotte Mason is a good source of info there). If he's good at mental math, let him answer you aloud and record his answers. There's still plenty of time for him to grow into the paper and pencil work.

Hang in there! :hug2

mommyTay
01-04-2006, 03:04 PM
You are right do not compare your little ones to someone elses. It will only make you crazy!
I was worried about my dd being "behind" and finally had her evaluated.
The dr. said she wont pass the proficiency, but what she knows is VERY impressive. The dr. said she wished 1/2 the kids she evaluates knew as much as my dd.
This probably wont make you feel much better, but my 9yo son doesn't read very well yet, HATES writing and still prefers to play when he thinks he can get away with it.

Stay positive, he may be behind by world standards, but I bet he knows how to do things that things those "on target kids" don't have a clue about.
:hug Take a deep relaxing breath, we are cheering for you!

rosesnsnails
01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes, he is the one with the vision problems. I have read one of John Holt's books and it made me feel better. I should read some more and pass them to my dh when I'm done.

The dr. said she wont pass the proficiency, but what she knows is VERY impressive. The dr. said she wished 1/2 the kids she evaluates knew as much as my dd.

This describes my two dc. They know a lot and can apply what they know to new situations. I always think that it is funny that the subjects they are behind in are the ones I have curriculum for. The other subjects that we get by reading, hands on experiments, and outings, they seem to really hold on to that information. :shrug I keep telling myself that it is all the stress we are under right now. I am constantly on the verge of tears and my stomach has been upset for days.

hbmamma
01-05-2006, 01:44 PM
I can't imagine the stress I caused my mom when I was homeschooled. I HATED to write. My mom tried to get me to keep a journal, to write letters, anything to write. I hated it!! It wasn't till college that my English prof. taught me to love to write.. But now I do love to write. The love of writing will come.
:hug2