PDA

View Full Version : Do people laugh when you wear your DC on your back?

GodChick
01-03-2006, 02:19 PM
DD2 loves to ride on my back, either in the wrap or the Ergo. Usually, when I'm out in public I put her on my hip, so she can get social cues from me. But sometimes, if I need both hands, I put her on my back . . . or when we're taking a walk around our neighborhood. Everytime I've passed someone on the street or in the store, or if someone comes to the door when I've got her on my back working at home, they LAUGH like it's the silliest thing they've ever seen. :hunh What's up with that?? Is everyone really THAT clueless about baby-wearing??

Bonnie
01-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Is everyone really THAT clueless about baby-wearing??

Actually, yes.

Although it might help to consider that sometimes laughter is just a way of noting that something is different and that you like it. Joyful, rather than derisive. Dunno about these particular people, of course. Some people just don't "get it."

Beyond Blessed
01-03-2006, 02:29 PM
ITA with what Bonnie said. I know that I've seen something and kinda smile and laugh - but I'm not laughing *at* them - it's more of an excitement thing. Like, "wow, I should get one/try that/etc..."

And if not, well then they are just ignorant to the benefits of baby-wearing and you don't need to give them a second thought. :hug2

Roma
01-03-2006, 02:32 PM
no. i always get "that is so clever and stuff like that" some people might think its weird but don't say anything. i've been very blessed with the reactions

MomToDM
01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I don't wear dd on my back (yet) but dh has told me many many times that people are always pointing and talking and looking at me when I have her in the wrap. :shrug From what he says though I think its meant to be like, "wow did you see that thing that lady was carrying her baby in? How neat". I don't know, I don't pay very much attention to other people, I guess, because I never notice it. People have told me that the wrap is really cool.

Jenne
01-03-2006, 03:19 PM
I hope they aren't laughing *at* you, but sorry if they are.

Here's hoping it's a surprised but pleased sort of laugh.

Aisling
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I used to think ppl were laughing at me, until I realised that my goofy kid was making faces at them behind my back :giggle

GodChick
01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Here's hoping it's a surprised but pleased sort of laugh.

hmmm . . .it probably is. (except once when a group of teens were making fun of my baby :rolleyes) i think they are kind of intruged and amused. i get lots of comments (usu positive) and "check it out"type glances when i wear her on my hip . . .but not so much amusement as when i wear her on my back. kwim? it's not a really big deal, nor do i think it's mean-spirited . . .but i'm just satarting to get annoyed that i can't wear her on my back without people looking at us like we're kinda silly. :shrug

2sunshines
01-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I used to think ppl were laughing at me, until I realised that my goofy kid was making faces at them behind my back :giggle

I was thinking the same thing. Could your child be amusing people back there?

milkmommy
01-03-2006, 05:44 PM
DD love the back hold also and yes we get comments but mosty geared at "why isn't that child walking" comments people always ask if she can walk.. :hunh Umm yea she can run also would you care to see?

Deanna

Dana Joy
01-03-2006, 06:21 PM
today i was at a coffee house and ds wanted to be held so i started wrapping him, onto my back, and a sweet woman stropped and gave me a hug saying that 30 some when her sons were 3, 2 and 1- in a moment of desperation- trying to keep up with tem and keep the house clean- she grabbed a large piece of cloth and tied her youngest to her back!!
so i guess we're not doing anything new fangled are we?

akmyilee
01-03-2006, 06:48 PM
I do get wierd looks, but I think most of the time it is more curiosity than in a mean spirited way. I just learned out to put her on my back and I am having a blast with that. :) Ofcourse one day at church (we have alot of AA kids) Thekids said "Miss Amie,what are you trying to do, be some African bush women or soemthin'?" We had a good laugh out of that one since I am the most pasty white person that you have ever met! :)

ChristineG
01-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I always get positive comments, sometimes from older ladies reminiscing about their bwing days (not 'old' ladies, just ladies older than me). Occasionally, I get what I suppose is laughing, but it is always positive. A baby on someone's back just looks so cute that it makes people laugh with joy. Usually it is accompanied by, "She looks so happy back there." On Sunday at church I had my 3mo on my front and was piggybacking 2yo. The older gentleman beside me said with a sweet laugh, "Do you have anywhere left?" It was a very kind and loving sort of tone/comment. I smiled and said, "Nope." Afterwards, I thought I should have said that I still had lots of room left in my heart. :heart

MizMama
01-04-2006, 11:14 AM
I miss my wearing days! I think my 4.5 y/o dd would ride around with me, but I'm *trying* to get her to understand that everyone in her life won't pick her up and carry her around! BEFORE she gets to school! lol

My almost 3 DS would never be still long enough for me to wear him now! lol

GodChick
01-04-2006, 12:20 PM
A baby on someone's back just looks so cute that it makes people laugh with joy

That's a good way of looking at it--that hadn't occurred to me. :-)

This Busy Mom
01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Just using a sling once, I had another mom spot me in a grocery store then act like she won a round on the Price is Right... :laughtears . Even though it was really funny... it caught me off guard.