PDA

View Full Version : I want to put the older two in school next year... UPDATE

Miss Priss
12-30-2005, 12:33 PM
I really do. Just for a year. I want to be able spend the first official year of homeschooling my 3rd with all the effort I can on her- she is always wanting for more of me, because she doesn't get a lot of me- I've been homeschooling one or both the others since she was one. She's always asking when it's her turn to work with mommy, or read alone with mommy, etc etc.
And the the boy's toddlerhood is starting to become just like #3's- he plays on his own while I'm working with school with the older ones until I see him in a mess, or something he's not safe doing. *sigh*
When it was just the older two, we had so much fun, we painted, we learned our letters and phonics with sidewalk chalk, we played outside every day. I don't have fun with my younger two that way, they are just drug along for the ride.

And, even though in the fall I had a total peace about whatever we needed to do educationally, now I'm mongered with fear again.
Will one year change my older two dd's habits, personalities, etc forever?
Will they be prepared? Have I done enought to teach them?
Will they be bored? Will they lose a year of good learning?
Will they get with the wrong crowd of friends?
Will their faith suffer?
etc etc etc
:shrug :(

AKCristyMJ
12-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Hmmm. No way to know really. :shrug
Kinda depends on the dc and the school and class and teacher.

It could be a really negative exsperience or a really positive or neither.

I've had my good and bad days with Lid bein in her PS.
She does have a great teacher tho....her and I email eachother which helps a lot.
And her class only has 15 students on a good-nobody-sick day.

Lidia has learned tons and is excited to return everyday.

Is there someway you can let your dc deside??
I'd hate for them to start school scared or unwilling, that could make matters worse.
I'd say sit down and exsplain your desires and hopes with them.
Then see the school and teacher.
Making sure they are as happy with this idea of just 1 year in school as you are.
And would not resent the 3yr old.
Sometimes strangely Lid will be bitter toward her little sis knowing she gets to be home with me still and Lid can't....but that is rare.

There would likely be many pros and cons to this choice, but that'd remain to be seen what they are. I'd think this'd take alotta discusion and planning before you could deside yes or no yet.
:hug

city on a hill
12-30-2005, 05:07 PM
can you put the older two in classes or programs and get some free time with dd that way?
If you signed them up for the Y swim lessons or a homeschool program or Awanas or something, that might give your dd what she needs.

A year in school could very well have a negative impact on them. Maybe it wont, though. You wont knw until you try, unfortunately

Miss Priss
12-30-2005, 05:31 PM
can you put the older two in classes or programs and get some free time with dd that way?
If you signed them up for the Y swim lessons or a homeschool program or Awanas or something, that might give your dd what she needs.

A year in school could very well have a negative impact on them. Maybe it wont, though. You wont knw until you try, unfortunately

The older two are already in some classes, AWANA, etc... dd #3 does some of those with them. What makes it difficult is that we live 1/2 hour away from everything so I usually have to stick around wherever the older ones are because of time... and then I end up chasing the boy to keep him out of trouble.

city on a hill
12-30-2005, 05:35 PM
that makes it really hard.
well, do you want to put them in school or keep them home? If you want to put them in school, then you should, and jsut keep a watchful eye. If you dont want to, we could all brainstorm and help you find ways to spend time with her

expatmom
12-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Will you honestly have more time, if you are still having to chase your youngest around?

I'll qualify my statements by telling you where I am coming from: my daughter attends a private international school, we consider ourselves homeschool friendly/supportive & would consider it if our current educational option were not available. That said, dd is overwhelmingly happy in school.

School has been a very positive experience for our dd. She absolutely loves it. She has had fantastic K & grade 1 teachers. It has been really important to us that we as parents be very involved in her class, both with the teachers and her classmates. Our dd is not a follower, she is a peacemaker and a negotiator with her classmates. She seems to have an innate sense of right and wrong, and knows when to go to her teacher or us when she feels uncomfortable about something. So, most of your worries have not played out for us. But it has required significant involvement on our part, so I am not sure you would see any time benefit from putting your kids in school. :shrug

What about a mother's helper or an older homeschooled child that could come in & spend time with your older kids or youngest child, so you could have some focused time with your dd? What about creating a homeschool night special for her, where you go out and do educational stuff together? Can you stagger your day, so your older 2 can do more self directed activities while you do 1 on 1 stuff with your dd?

It is hard to weigh the needs of each of our children and try to meet their unique needs accordingly. May God give you wisdom and peace about whatever decision you decide is best for your family.

Miss Priss
12-30-2005, 06:32 PM
that makes it really hard.
well, do you want to put them in school or keep them home? If you want to put them in school, then you should, and jsut keep a watchful eye. If you dont want to, we could all brainstorm and help you find ways to spend time with her

Well... both! Whine!
What I *want* is for someone around here to magically open a school that accepts homeschoolers half time. LOL
DD's used to say they really wanted to try school, but this past year I think theyr'e "getting it" listening to their friends- that it's not all they've been dreaming about from this side of the fence.
I'm definitely going to be watching and praying... my oldest has ADHD as well, so....
If we had some extra income I honestly wouldn't be thinking so hard about it, there are a number of Christian schools in our area- one attached to the university where dh works, and one that's teaches a classical curriculum that they were accepted to last year but the finances and older dd's issues (wasn't medicated at that time) made us have to turn it down.

Punkie
12-30-2005, 06:37 PM
:think

There aren't any private schools in the area that have a cottage program? I know that one of our private schools here offers it, as does the local Classical charter school. The private school isn't super forthcoming about it, but they have it available. Did you already say that you can't get a tutor or mother's helper? That seems like a good option too. :shrug

That's really tough. If only money were no object, eh? :hissyfit

Miss Priss
12-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Will you honestly have more time, if you are still having to chase your youngest around?

What about a mother's helper or an older homeschooled child that could come in & spend time with your older kids or youngest child, so you could have some focused time with your dd? What about creating a homeschool night special for her, where you go out and do educational stuff together? Can you stagger your day, so your older 2 can do more self directed activities while you do 1 on 1 stuff with your dd?

It is hard to weigh the needs of each of our children and try to meet their unique needs accordingly. May God give you wisdom and peace about whatever decision you decide is best for your family.

I think I would have more time, even with the youngest around- I mean it's one thing staggering time between two- one is involved with something while I spend time with the other and then switch. But to stagger 4 is just... :hunh
A mother's helper is a good idea, I'll have to ask around some of the older homeschoolers.

This past week I tried doing one on one stuff with #3 first, and then going on to school with the olders, then doing some more with #3 while the older two did the subjects they are self reliant in (math, english...), but my toddler still got left out. He would start fussing, I'd look at my watch and see it was almost 11am, time for him to eat and take a nap. So we ate, had rest time then began our afternoon chores, made dinner, dh came home.

city on a hill
12-30-2005, 09:03 PM
It seems to me that at the age your oldest is, that age becomes really hard in school for girls, lots of cattiness, fighting, backbiting, boy craziness.
I posted on my homeschooling board, asking for a babysitter, and there were several homeschool teenagers who would do it for whatever I was willing to pay them. I have a friend who is teaching her neighbor (a homeschooled teenager) who to use the spinning wheel in exchange for babysitting.

erinee
12-31-2005, 08:00 AM
What I *want* is for someone around here to magically open a school that accepts homeschoolers half time. LOL

Me, too. I'm struggling with whether or not to keep HSing, too, for different reasons. i think I will struggle every single year. Zach had a mostly very good experience in school and he loved it. He hasn't been asking to go back or anything, but I know he wouldn't mind going back. If he could go back just half-time, I'd send him in a heartbeat.

AKCristyMJ
12-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Thinking bout it more, another worry came to mind......on how the teachers/school might regard your dc.

Sometimes some teachers have such stigma on homeschooling.
I saw this even as just a preschool TA. But thats another long story....

So if you do do this maybe try to size up the school/teacher and make sure they don't treat your dc in some odd way.
Ya know what I mean??
I know when I told Lidias teacher we plain to homeschool her 7th grade and up, maybe earlier than that, she just kinda stared at me for a min and then just sorta nodded, kwim?

It's your dc and not the Teachers, so in the end who cares what they think but it's good to know and prepare for and :pray they don't reflect that in how they teach.

big :hug as you deside this.
:pray ing you have Gods guidance and peace. :-) :heart

AttachedMamma
01-01-2006, 06:59 PM
:hug2 Never an easy decision.

cindi

Miss Priss
01-06-2006, 10:11 AM
We've been having some serious discussions with our dds and each other, and as of now, this is what we've decided.
DD #2 does not want to go to school- at all, ever, were her words. :giggle She is also the child who is the most easy going, and I think we can make it work with her home, as she can help play with the toddler while I'm doing school with dd#3, and we can do the majority of her school during the youngers naps.
DD #1 wants to try school, she's been begging for 2 years now. We can pull of paying one tuition at the classical Christian school, so we contacted them and the principal told us that since our application stays in the queue until we ask them to remove it, even though we turned down a spot last year. So, there is a possibility that we could get her in next year, but probably only if they hire another teacher- right now there's only one 4th grade teacher. There is also the hope that we'll be 1st in the queue, since we'll have been waiting for so long in the queue. I sort of knew the 4th grade teacher that's there from college, and I remember her being very gentle and kind, just the sort of person I would ask for if we were to put them in school. So, the decision is still in the Lord's hands obviously, but if a spot open up, we'll be sending her to a wonderful school.
She is the one that takes the most from me, with her ADHD issues, and I think the extra stimulation she'd get at school might make it work for her.

expatmom
01-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Sounds good :tu

AKCristyMJ
01-06-2006, 01:55 PM
:yes

Sounds great!

Glad you asked your oldest dd bout it.
LOL I was the opposite sorta kid, by age 12 I was begging to be homeschooled but my parents kept me in PS anyways. I know how it feels to endure school when you want to be homeschooled. But all my homeschooled/formerly homeschooled friends thought I was nuts. :rolleyes