PDA

View Full Version : Just found out my SIL is homeschooling

Piper2
12-27-2005, 10:44 AM
On Christmas afternoon, I got to talk with DH's step-sister, who lives in Atlanta (but they were visiting my IL's in FL that day). We used to spend time with her and her husband regularly before we had Kevin, then we fell victim to the "you have a child and we don't, so you don't have time to hang with us anymore" thing. Not long after we moved to MS, they had a baby (they'd been trying longer than we had) who is now 3yo.

Anyway, we were talking Sunday about how time flies, and she mentioned that they already have their son registered for school (I assume K4) next fall, but she's not sure she can let him go. Plus, they're still working on potty training, and the school won't take the kids if they're not potty trained. Then she said that she's been homeschooling him and he's already in first grade stuff! :eek But I don't think she's actually doing "official" homeschooling because she seems a bit clueless about curriculum (she was asking me how I found out about curriculum...from the Internet?) and the homeschooling laws in her state (she thought GA was the same as FL, which it isn't).

Just knowing her and the difficulties they had in having their son (she also had a pre-cancerous condition before she conceived, which threatened her fertility), plus she tried working away from home and couldn't stand being away from him, so now she works from home -- I seriously doubt she'll be putting him in school this fall. ;) And if she's already been doing some homeschooling, I think that with some guidance, she'll be able to continue with it into his actual "school years". I've sent her the link to the GA homeschool website and told her about the Southeast Homeschool Expo that we went to last year and plan to attend this year, too. I told DH it would be a hoot to have her at the homeschool conference (she's totally loopy and just a riot to be around ;)), and it's exciting to have the prospect of another homeschooler in the family, especially one a bit closer to Kevin's age. :)

So, we just might have another addition to our group at the expo this year. :mrgreen

cobluegirl
12-27-2005, 06:13 PM
That is cool !! some people just need a little push!

J3K
12-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Totally awesome dude.

My brother , who doesn't have kids , said that if he and his wife ever do have children, he was going to homeschool them. His wife was leary until she met my kids. She said "they are so different , well mannered , polite , easy to talk to and fun to be around. So much different than my other nieces and nephews. Homeschooling must really work. They socialize just fine !"

:giggle I didn't get into my definition of 'socialization'..I just thanked her. She thought my kids were going to be shy , uneducated hillibillies...she told me that later. LOL