PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of pulling DD out of K and DS out of pre-K....

LoveBaby
12-21-2005, 08:12 AM
where should I start? I don't have a lot of extra $$ for any formal curriculum, but thought that lots of trips to the library I could come up with something. I've been researching HS for next year, but DH and I are really getting frustrated with the public schools and think we'd rather not have her exposed to any more "peer socialization" if we can help it. Who's idea was it, BTW, to send our *babies* off to school for 9 hours a day to be "socialized" by their peers and that their parents aren't able to teach them what they need to know?! Sending her to school never felt right, but it's what you're "supposed" to do, so we did. :( I just hate it every day when we drag her out of bed at 6:15a.m. to catch the bus by 7:10a.m. and she doesn't get home until 4 p.m. The atitudes that she's picking up already are unbelievable.

Anyway..I'd love to hear from all of you on what kinds of things I can do at home this mext semester for DD and DS. And what things you'd reccommend for next year, too!

TIA!!

JessicaTX
12-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Five in a Row is pretty cheap if you have a good library =) Actually, I think just having a library card is curriculum enough. Read lots of great books, let her find books that interest her. There's websites with worksheets you can print out if you want to go that route. You might want to look up the laws for where you live. I have it very easy in Texas, but some states have more hoops you have to jump through.

MagnoliaMommy
12-21-2005, 09:47 AM
:hug

You can definitely homeschool without having to spend a lot of money! :yes

Unit studies are something you might want to look into. You can find many online and free of charge. What are your children interested in learning about? We are just starting out with homeschooling our 4 yo and have been primarily using unit studies. You could tailor the study to meet the needs of both your 4 yo and 5 yo.:)

The library is an awesome resource. I know some moms do 5 In a Row and use the library for the books. You might want to make sure that the library has (or can get) the resources that you need before you commit to anything though.

Handwriting and Math programs vary in price, but you should be able to find something affordable. You can always supplement with your own manipulatives for math.:) Try Rainbow Resource...they seem to have everything under the sun and will send you out a free catalog.

I am sure that you will get some great advice from the other mamas here...best wishes to you! :-)

LoveBaby
12-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks mamas! I'm sooo excited and *totally* overwhelmed! There are so many resources available it's hard to know where to start!

ShangriLewis
12-21-2005, 10:37 AM
We actually enjoyed Pre-k, and K. I felt guilty at first because I thought I wouldn't be a real homeschooler if I let them be in school a few years.

I second FIAR. It's really fun and you might be able to get your library to order all the volumes. Just talk to a librarian and ask them who is in charge of the ordering. If you have a Child's librarian you can ask if she can order them and make sure they have all the books for them. They aren't just for homeschoolers. They would be great for any parent who wants to give their child a head start!

asher
12-21-2005, 11:53 AM
FIAR fan here, too! :tu

mykidsmom
12-21-2005, 12:03 PM
You can totally HS at little to no cost. Many co-ops have curriculum exchanges and many HSers give away their teacher's books when they're done with them. That's where I've gotten all my teacher's books for ABEKA. The handbooks I just buy from ABEKA on-line and it only costs me about 60.00 a year. :)

LoveBaby
12-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Can someone point me in the right direction for FIAR info? Is there a website?

Do you follow a certain "method", classical, Charlotte Mason, etc? I find Charlotte Mason to be very intriguing, but I'm not sure if I should worry about a "method" this semester as much as just getting to know my DD again and work on GBD and building strong relationships and worry about curricula and methods later. It's all soooo overwhelming I don't even know where to begin.

Mama Calidad
12-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Five in a Row = http://www.fiveinarow.com/

If you're interested in CM, check out year 0 here = http://www.amblesideonline.org/

MagnoliaMommy
12-28-2005, 10:34 AM
I find Charlotte Mason to be very intriguing, but I'm not sure if I should worry about a "method" this semester as much as just getting to know my DD again and work on GBD and building strong relationships and worry about curricula and methods later. It's all soooo overwhelming I don't even know where to begin.

I think you are on the right track in just getting to know your dd once again and building strong relationships.:yes :hug

joandsarah77
12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
I agree with the above pp. But it dosn't hurt to read while your doing that. :grin Theres a sticky above with good books. I'de recomend you buy at least one and read up on homeschooling and the diffrent methods.