PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of grammar...

bluedotsmom
12-20-2005, 05:48 AM
....my 7 (almost 8) and 6 yo dd's love to write! They write letters, books and notes to each other when one gets hurt.

They need practice in penmanship and I think would like grammar as well. I was thinking of A Reason for Handwriting and ackk, can't think of the name...a grammar 'course' that I found on Rainbow Resource (it may be Easy Grammar, I have my dog-eared catalog at home I'll have to edit later tonight or tomorrow.)

I need something workbookish since DH is the designated un-semi-classical-Charlotte Masonish-homeschool leader during the day. :grin

Any suggestions? Something that combines penmanship and writing/grammar? Maybe just some grammar work and a poster with letters to help with formation? Although, we haven't really worked on cursive writing yet and A Reason for Handwriting might make that easier.

TIA

ArmsOfLove
12-20-2005, 07:44 AM
we're just barely there so I'm :popcorn

Piper2
12-20-2005, 09:06 AM
We haven't done anything really "grammar-ish" except for just a tiny bit those few weeks we were using Weaver. I think next year (2nd grade) is when a lot of curriculums actually start with the grammar stuff.

But Kevin has picked up a little bit from the old "Grammar Rock" videos...remember the ones they used to play on Saturday mornings ("Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, get your adverbs here!" :mrgreen)? I think when we actually start working on specific parts of speech, we'll also have him watch the videos that match whatever we're studying at the time.

bluedotsmom
12-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Conjunction Junction, what’s your function….oh no, there is music in my head! :grin

Maybe some video information would help my dh get motivated to really work with the girls. :scratch

Keep the info coming!

4Cygnets
12-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Simply Grammar
English for the Thoughful Child

And
First Language Lessons

all have copy work that combines handwriting with grammar.

Sara
12-23-2005, 03:25 PM
I like First Language Lessons. :tu

bluedotsmom
12-24-2005, 05:36 AM
Thank you Sara and 4Cygnets! And all of those are in the Rainbow Resource catalog, too!!!

Sara
12-24-2005, 06:51 AM
Anne,

Reading back over your original post, I should say that First Language Lessons is not workbookish. But the lessons are short and sweet and that was a big plus around here. There is also a neat audio complanion that goes with FLL. Not sure if it is in the Rainbow Resource catalog, though. Here is a link so you can read about it:
http://peacehillpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=41

Here are sample lessons for FLL:
http://welltrainedmind.com/FLLsample.html

You can see Simply Grammar samples here (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?sku=8113&event=AFF&p=1017552#curr).

HTH! I always like to look at samples because I think it really helps! :-)

ShangriLewis
12-26-2005, 12:21 PM
First Language Lessons is super simple to follow. The lessons are short and you can do one or two or more at a time. They build upon each other. If your children already like to write, then you won't have a problem. Just get a notebook and have them do a lesson per sheet. They can even draw pictures for many of the lessons if they would like. Then they can 3 whole punch and put them in the notebook.

I just think a child should enjoy writing before they start FLL.

bluedotsmom
12-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for more info.

My dh looked at the links, too. He loves the way FLL looks. I think we'll go with that.

joandsarah77
12-29-2005, 02:44 PM
With the ages of your kids I would simply do copywork. Thats what CM advocates and does both penmanship and grammer for free!

This Busy Mom
12-29-2005, 03:23 PM
We're using First Language Lessons... it's a 2 year program (and not meaty). My dd will be in "3rd grade" next year and she'll be moving from FLL into Rod & Staff 3 English by late this winter or this spring. They also have a $10 accompaniment cd for FLL for all the poems, chants, and readings. I just looked at it and I haven't been utilizing it as much as I could.