PDA

View Full Version : That lovely "S" word LOL

MamaBeth
12-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Well, I emailed my Dad earlier to let him know how we're doing, and that we're going to be homeschooling again. I told him I know he probably has some concerns about it, but I'd be glad to talk with him about it. He says he's not worried about academics, because I've "done well" with Sarah; but his big thing is socialization; especially after the rough times we've been having over the past couple years.

I can understand that, but I don't see how the kids spending all day in the company of other children is going to help them deal with the stressors (that have mostly now been eliminated) or heal from them or otherwise help anything other than to lead the children away from being a close family, and introducing them to inappropriate behaviors (Logan came home one day just two weeks into school and showed us a really lovely obscene gesture one child taught him...he's in K..not to mention pretty words they've learned.. and his "girls are stupid" attitude he's never had before!!)...

But with three active homeschooling groups, a homeschooling 4H club, church, AWANA, cheerleading (soon to be a 4 day a week commitment once Sarah starts Cheer Tumble with the local gym), soon to be karate or TKD for Logan...next fall Logan will have Cub Scouts and Megan will have Daisy Girl Scouts too...I think we've got the S word covered pretty well LOL!

That reminds me..I really need to get a new great big desk calendar to stick up on the wall to keep track of everything!! LOL giggle..I get a kick out of the whole idea that I must be sheltering the kids away from the world or something...just SOOO not happening!

Mommyo6
12-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Just remind your dad that socalization can be both good and bad. And by homeschooling you will be upping the odds that your children will engage in good socialization experiences. If he says its not the "real world" ask him the last time he socailized in a room full of people who's birthdays fell within 12 months of his? How real is that?

Glad you're doing it, you won't regret it!

whisper
12-19-2005, 12:14 PM
ok...Big "S" question moms.

What if you just moved in to a small town (where everyone knows everyone and they're all related and they don't know what to do with outsiders) and you are one of two families homeschooling in the area and you can't afford to join any group lessons or clubs? Are my children going to be terribly stunted socially?

booboo
12-20-2005, 04:01 AM
Google on homeschool support groups and coops. Maybe there isn't one directly in your town, but possible the next one over. You may be surprised to find someone else living in your town who homeschools. Check out the library and ask questions. The people who work there may know of some groups who even meet there.

hth! :rockon

tempus vernum
12-21-2005, 02:46 AM
ok...Big "S" question moms.

What if you just moved in to a small town (where everyone knows everyone and they're all related and they don't know what to do with outsiders) and you are one of two families homeschooling in the area and you can't afford to join any group lessons or clubs? Are my children going to be terribly stunted socially?

:hug That would be hard. I would pray that God would lead me to some friends in the area, get active in a church, put my kids in sunday school and church kids club - or find a church kids club. :hug

whisper
12-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, that's the problem...there are no children our children's age at the church we now attend and every other fellowship group is too far away. We can't afford the weekly gas costs. :sad2
I'm not whining about it. I'm just hoping that the children will be ok. :shrug

tempus vernum
12-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Honestly, socialization isn't that important to me as a homeschooler. After all, I don't have much socialization and the socialization I got in school taught me people are mean and unreliable :sad2 We are getting involed in our hs group because dd is an extrovert and struggling trmendously. Ds and I would happily be home all the time :shrug

city on a hill
12-24-2005, 03:46 PM
whisper, how about scholarships? We totally cannot afford activities, but we belong to the Y ona scholarship. We pay $10 a month (as opposed to $76) for a family membership. We used to pay $5 a month, but we are making more now, so our rate went up. They have tons of free activities, and we get scholarships for paid classes as well, like Karate there. Also, we have a scholarship for the childrens museum. And, some towns offer scholarships for the park and rec programs.
Also, call around to all the churches in town and see if any of them offer programs for moms and kids. SOmeone should have an AWANA program, and those are open to everyone. Or, post a sign at the library and grocery stores offering an all age play group at your home