PDA

View Full Version : Lamplighter books - need input please

whisper
12-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Has anybody read these? I have not bought any of the books yet but I have read through the catalogues. The books intrique me. Themes of character building and truth are woven in the stories. I like that idea. So many of today's children's stories are so flat and self-glorifying. I am curious though if in any of them there is a subtle hint of manipulation (ie. fear, guilt tactics) ? Really, it would depend on the heart of the author, right?

I'm asking because the publisher incudes both "Families where Grace is in Place" and "Sheperding a Child's Heart" in his book list for parents, which seem to be on opposite spectrums. He is very selective in the books he suggests and makes available.

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, you know? :shrug

Ever since I started homescooling, finding resources has been harder....home education and parenting are all mixed in together and it's hard to find resources I can fully trust. I'm still insecure in both. :O

Mamatoto
12-09-2005, 08:49 PM
These sound interesting...I use The Book of Virtues and the stories in there. I'll have to look this up. :-)

Winkie
12-10-2005, 08:16 PM
i've gotten the catalog & love reading it, but i haven't had the funds yet to buy any books. he also sells clay clarkson's discipline book, so my impressions are that he leans toward the grace-full side, but i don't know for sure. the first half of SACH does address heart issues (before it gets into all the spanking how-tos :td)

whisper
12-11-2005, 08:38 PM
It is a really nice catelogue. :tu What's SACH?

Winkie
12-12-2005, 11:08 AM
sorry, SACH = Shepherding A Child's Heart