PDA

View Full Version : more questions about unit studies and Weaver

booboo
12-09-2005, 05:11 AM
I'm seriously considering Weaver for next year. But I'm kinda stuck: we're using Christian Liberty (not unit study) and we've finished another subject! (history) I'm nervous about getting another CL history book since this one fell apart! The other books are fine; but their return policy isn't so great so I never bothered contacting them.

As far as Weaver goes, the Volume I says it's for starting at age 4, yet they do have a separate one (Interlock I think) for preschool/kindergarten. My little one is sorta in kindergarten. She's starting to pick up and learning to read. It's funny because when my first grader is struggling learning phonics, she'll yell out the word. :giggle

Could I do Volume I for a kindergartener? She's pretty bright, but as far as maturity goes, I don't think she'll be ready for 1st grade next year. Is there another unit study that would be better? How do you do unit studies and incorporate math, writing, etc? Is this more of something you need to piece together thing? (like use HWT for writing, Saxon for Math, Weaver for other subjects) How does this work? :scratch

Thanks!!

Piper2
12-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Volume 1 does have lessons for kindergarteners. But, you probably already know my take on Weaver, at least for my particular situation -- I think it's great if you're teaching multiple grades and if you know you'll be using each Volume at least one more time and if you're creative enough to do all the activities required to teach the lessons. That's just not me. ;)

You have to use a separate math curriculum with Weaver because it doesn't have it. For writing, they have the kids copy a memory verse everyday. And there is an English/grammar part to it (Wisdom Words) that we did while we were doing Weaver, but there wasn't really that much to it, and for kindergarten, I think it stops after a couple of weeks.

There's a lady in my church who loved Interlock for kindergarten, but she decided to try KONOS for first grade this year, at least for the fall semester. I haven't talked to her lately to see if she's going to stick with that -- she gave me the impression that if she didn't like KONOS, she would try Weaver Vol.1 after New Years.

I like Christian Liberty, but I can see where it's not working for you because your dd goes through those short lessons SO quickly! :eyebrow For us, it's like pulling teeth just to get Kevin to pay attention to a one-page lesson long enough to just read through it once. :rolleyes And, believe it or not, I'm actually toying with the idea of changing to BYU next year, if I can handle the math this year, get used to using a traditional teacher lesson plan format, and if we can make it work with Kevin's issues.