PDA

View Full Version : Adult benadryl for dogs?

klpmommy
12-07-2005, 06:58 AM
One of my dogs gets seriously carsick. We are getting ready to make a long drive (20+ hours). Before I had a prescription for "doggy valium" but we are out of it and in a different state than the vet who prescribed it. I called a vet yesterday who told me to just give adult benadryl at 1 cc/pound. I looked last night and couldn't find liquid adult benadryl, only pill form and one pill would be too little, two pills too much (the dog is about 40 lbs, the pills were 25 mg).

Has anyone given their dog benadryl before? And can you find adult liquid (the vet was very specific that it needed to be the adult version, not the kid one).
Thanks.

Kasi
12-07-2005, 07:32 AM
That's weird that your vet said adult liquid for Benadryl. I've never seen it. You might ask a pharmacist. We've always used children's benadryl, for allergic reactions, for our dogs. Maybe call another vet and see what they say?

Amber
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
What your vet said doesn't sound right to me...at 1cc a lb you would have to give her 40cc...that is just way to much!!! The adult Benadrly pills are usually 25mg...if the liquid is around 25mg/cc then that would be way too much for you dog.

Are you sure it wasn't 1mg/lb? That is the does I am used to hearing. I would definatly give your vet (or another vet) a call back to verify the dose.

Also be sure to try it out ahead of time, as Benadryl can cause some dogs to be hyperactive.

Another option would be to see if your vet would prescribe some acepromazine (a sedative) for you dog, it usually works really well. Giving your dog a bit of ginger before you leave can help settle her stomach as well.

klpmommy
12-07-2005, 12:03 PM
The vet said that mg and cc were the same, so to give her 1 cc or 1 mg per pound. I actually have a vet appt on Friday to get her a sedative if needed, but the benadryl would be less expensive if it works and money is a bit tight right now. So the benadryl sounded like a good option. I want to try it asap so that I can cancel my appt Friday if at all possible and avoid the office visit. I am vet shopping right now, and the appt is with a different vet than the one who told me to try benadryl.

Kasi- what dosage do you use with the children's benadryl for your dogs? I think the pill would be easier to get my dog to take (hide it in some pb), but I don't want to overdose her and underdosing her won't help I don't think.

I will call the vet I talked to back and make sure I got the right info and try a different one as well.

Amber
12-07-2005, 12:11 PM
The vet said that mg and cc were the same, so to give her 1 cc or 1 mg per pound.

ml and cc are the same thing, but wether or not mg and cc would be the same thing would depend on the concentration of the drug.