PDA

View Full Version : Unifix cubes (math)

Piper2
12-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Anybody use these? I just got my BJU 1st grade math curriculum, and it lists them as resources needed for some of the lessons. We've already got Cuisenaire rods and Math-U-See blocks, so it's not like you'd think we needed yet another set of math manipulatives in this house. ;) But from what I can tell, the Unifix cubes are just individual blocks that you fit together to make them as long as you need to, which our other manipulatives don't do.

$12.95 is the standard price for a set of 100...anybody know of a better price or some "cheap imitations". :mrgreen It's not that the regular price is that bad, but if I can get what I need for less, I'll go for it. ;)

icesmom3
12-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Another name might be "linking cubes" we got 100 for 9.95 last year froma local school supply store....don't know if that is a help or not...if you do continue to use BJU I know that they use the cubes in 2nd grade math too :yes

Chris3jam
12-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Unifix cubes are bigger than Cuisenaire rods. They're individual 1 inch interlocking cubes (on all four sides). I would get them. . . they are more versatile than the rods, and you can use them as you get up in geometry and other things. And the Cuisenaire stuff can be adapted to use them. We have both. :grin And the unifix gets more of a workout than the rods do. :D

Piper2
12-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks all! :) I called the educational supply store around the corner (the only one I could guarantee I'd get to before we started the new curriculum), and they had them for the same price as BJU. So I ordered some from Rainbow Resource for $8.95 (no box, no frills). They also carried some manipulatives that were "like Unifix" for, I think, $5.95, but I figured I'd probably better go with the real thing. ;)

Kevin's excited about starting the new curriculum, and so am I. :D And I can't believe they're going to start them using calculators a few weeks into the book! :eek