PDA

View Full Version : Leslie...I have a question about Art Study

ShangriLewis
12-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Now that I got your attention. I was wondering if there is a list of Artists that I should use. I would love to go through according to time and style. Should I just start at the beginning of Ambleside. I was really hoping I could find some kind of list, so I could study with all the boys at the same time.

What do you think?

Leslie
12-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Ambleside's list isn't according to time and style, and it doesn't match the historical period being studied, so you could pick it up anywhere and do it with all of your boys together. It tries to meet Charlotte Mason's goal of introducing students to the Great Masters and populating the imagination with beautiful pictures in the gallery of the mind, rather than trying to cover a thorough course in art history. It's hard to match a chronological list with a chronological historical study unless you spend four years studying the Renaissance and six years in the 1800's when the Romantic era was in full swing. :lol

There's probably a list of artists arranged by date and style somewhere, but I don't know of one offhand, I've never looked for one.

ShangriLewis
12-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks Leslie for the explanation.

SueQ
12-10-2005, 05:38 AM
Where do you all get copies of paintings from the artists? I have yet to incoorperate art study into our homeschool but really want to do that. He has been getting composer study at learning group and I just play classical music a lot here at home. Art study is something he hasn't been getting at all. :( (Except what he gets through looking at and discussing pictures of the books we are reading in FIAR)

Leslie
12-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Ambleside has a member who sends out a term's art prints for $15. And some terms, I've just done art study right from my computer screen. This site has lots of art organized by artist. http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/fineart.htm
When we're on one painting, I make it my computer wallpaper.