PDA

View Full Version : "Summer vacation" ideas?

Winkie
12-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Yes, I know it's 3 wks till Christmas & we've got a couple inches of snow on the ground, but I still couldn't help myself from looking ahead. :giggle We started our school year on July 5 and if we stay on track, we'll finish MFWK at the end of March. That already includes 1.5 wks off for Christmas & a handful of other days off too.

So I'm trying to decide what to do. My original idea was to start 1st grade on July 5 again. One option is to only school 4 days a week & that should get me to the end of April. I know that April, May, & June will be great months to do stuff outside, and I plan to do lots of that. But I still feel like 3 months is too long to *not* do school. I don't want to rush into 1st grade, 'cause assuming I stay with MFW, by 3rd grade he'd be a whole year ahead of his age. Right now school only takes 60-90 min a day, but I like having something structured in the day - it seems to cut down on squabbles.

What would you do to fill the time?

Singingmom
12-04-2005, 11:00 PM
4 days a week is a good idea.

You could stretch your Christmas break to 2 weeks or more -- it will fly by. Then another 2 weeks in the spring might be nice.

When K ends, you could do a few special unit studies.

Booklover
12-05-2005, 06:14 AM
I've heard of a lot of families that do a three months on, one off schedule. I've considered that myself. You could take off December, April, and August. I agree three months is a long time to take off, and every year I say I'm not going to and then I do anyway. We have so little truly warm weather, and everyone is going to the beach, so it's hard to motivate myself to do school. Of course, this year, I'm working more toward taking off January, since the baby is due at the end of the month. And we would still have co-op and swimming. Good luck with your decision.

lenswyf
12-05-2005, 06:32 AM
It's out of print, but Amazon has lots listed under the used books, starting at $0.01.

"A Mothers Manual for Summer Survival" by Kathy Peel and Joy Mahattey

Contains 300 activity ideas for kids who say "I'm bored." One a day and you're set!