PDA

View Full Version : What is a "notebook approach" to homeschooling?

tempus vernum
12-02-2005, 10:09 PM
??????????????????????

Sara
12-02-2005, 10:14 PM
I've heard the term, but I'm not sure exactly what it means. I've definitely heard it associated with Cindy Rushton, although I'm sure there are others out there who talk about this concept.

:popcorn

jennifer2boys
12-03-2005, 06:53 AM
We use this concept in our homeschool. Basically we keep a three ring binder with page protectors in it. My boys will do copywork and draw a picture with it and then put it in a notebook. We have done this with Science as well. Right now we are doing a 50 states notebook. As we read about each state, they make up a page or two on that state. We have looked up information on the internet about the state and I have printed some of it, so they could cut and paste into their notebook. There are many possibilities with notebooking. Cindy Rushton does have a book on it that is really good.

Singingmom
12-03-2005, 09:25 AM
I posted a few weeks ago about how we use our notebooks! :)

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=32570.0

tempus vernum
12-03-2005, 08:47 PM
THANK YOU - we use a binder but with folders BUT the folders are ripping already - this sounds like a grwat solution to that :tu

milkmommy
12-03-2005, 09:01 PM
I dont homeschool but we are making "talking" notebooks we fill them with pictures of words shes added some times we copy favourite covers from books or take photos find pictures in magazines, like once or twice a week I help her cute glue color and paste the added pictures to printer paper and we add to a three ring note book with a bunch of plastic paper protectors and I write a little about how each page (more for memories and to share with her therpist) She loves to "read" her book and its great way for us to review her progress. :tu Have no idea if its the same thing but thought I'd share.

Deanna

Singingmom
12-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Deanna, that's a great idea! I bet she loves looking at her notebook with you. :)

ShangriLewis
12-03-2005, 10:22 PM
I know The Well Trained Mind uses a notebook approach. We have taken bits and pieces from there. We have notebooks and we use clear, colored pages for each section. http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=108185&&An=browse We like these because the kids can make a picture of nice Contents page for each section. It looks so formal. We have made sections for KONOS units, ABC pages (a page for each letter and then you cut out magazine pictures that start with that letter and paste them on), misc. artwork, Gibran is doing First Language Lessons and we are doing a section for that. We are using Story of the World right now, so I guess we will divide that up into the four times periods.

We put anything in there. We used to do a lot of coloring type pages I printed out from online. But, since I've become a bit more interested in Waldorf I have been trying to encourage more original artwork. That means sometimes I draw a picture, too. You make report pages by getting a National Geographic with your subject and cutting out the pictures and the children can right some of article in captions. You can use History Pockets. They, also, have pockets for each month, too. Just go to evan-moor.com and type in pockets in the search box. You should get 65 results.

http://homeschoolunitstudies.com/TG/scrapbooking.htm Heart of Wisdom site
I found some really neat pictures by googling Waldorf main lesson book.

They weren't that pretty when we started, but they are getting better. Basically, they are my children's textbooks. Plus, they are "proof" of what they have learned. My Sil laminate the ones she did with her kids. I just 3 hole punch everything and just put them in there.

Singingmom
12-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Plus, they are "proof" of what they have learned.

Yes, I love the way it turns out to be a portfolio -- a good representation of what they've done and learned during the year. :)

tempus vernum
12-04-2005, 08:46 PM
do you put art in there too? Just curious cuz lots of our artwork won't fit into page protectors as construction paper is larger than 8 1/2 x 11.

Singingmom
12-04-2005, 10:39 PM
My boys draw a lot on regular white paper, so I do put some in the notebooks, but I also have a separate accordian file for each of them in my filing cabinet. You're right, construction paper doesn't do well in those page protectors unless you want to trim it every time.

fourbygrace
12-23-2005, 10:24 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I just recently started doing the notebook method and I precut our construction paper so that it is 8 1/2 x 11. Then I don't have to think about it when they want to do an art project. I also cut my watercolor paper as they love to watercolor. I have found that a nice paper cutter was a great investment. I can cut three pieces of construction paper at a time. I got mine at Office Depot and it is about 13 in. by 16 in. and sits on top of my big bookcase.

Blessings,
Mary

Singingmom
12-23-2005, 11:13 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I just recently started doing the notebook method and I precut our construction paper so that it is 8 1/2 x 11. Then I don't have to think about it when they want to do an art project. I also cut my watercolor paper as they love to watercolor. I have found that a nice paper cutter was a great investment. I can cut three pieces of construction paper at a time. I got mine at Office Depot and it is about 13 in. by 16 in. and sits on top of my big bookcase.

Blessings,
Mary

That's a great idea! :tu I should do that...

tempus vernum
12-23-2005, 06:19 PM
That is a super idea Mary. I was toying with buying a case of colored printer paper from office depot or office max. I think they have a variety pack with each pack being a different color. But I like this idea too :think