PDA

View Full Version : OK, so if we decide to switch math curriculums from MUS to something else...

Piper2
11-29-2005, 07:28 PM
...what are your suggestions? I really like MUS and was looking forward to going with it all the way to algebra and geometry (and maybe finally picking up on those subjects myself :O), but it's just starting to get really dry. We're coming up to the end of the Alpha book, and one thing I don't like is the fact that on all the practice pages, Kevin has figured out that he just needs to do the first 8 or so problems. Then the rest of the ones on the page are repeats...they don't even switch the numbers around. He just finds the one he did before that was 17-8=9 and copies the answer. :rolleyes

I'm really liking what I've seen so far with the BJU math, and the price for the kit is comparable to what I'd spend for the next level of MUS. My only question would be, which grade level do I go with? From the sample pages I've seen for Grade 2, that seems to be pretty much where he is. But there are some things in the Grade 1 (sample pages) that he hasn't done yet, like identifying sets (which I remember from first grade). We could probably skim through the first grade book for the rest of this year and then start second grade in September with everything else. Only, I don't know if I want to pay full price for something I'm just going to pick and choose from. :scratch

Any other suggestions? I kinda don't want to go the LIFEPAC route again because it actually seems to be a bit too workbook-based, and all those other curricula (Saxon, Minqon, Singapore) seem to be too much into "systems", and I don't want to try to learn another "system". BJU looks more like what I grew up with, so I guess that makes it seem more friendly to me. :) Perhaps once we move on a little further and find that Kevin needs more visual stuff, we can delve back into MUS for fractions or trig or something like that.

lumpofclay
11-29-2005, 09:01 PM
If it were me, I'd just stick with MUS and let him do the practice problems he wants/needs to do. If he can do the first 8 (and the rest are repeats), then just move on. :shrug The new MUS books have a ton more practice in them than the older edition. We have the older edition. Chandler doesn't even do all those problems. I"m sure when we finish this book and have to get the newer books that she won't be doing all the problems.

Just a thought, anyways. . . .

Piper2
11-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Well, this is one of the new books (Alpha). :/ I went ahead and ordered some used BJU stuff just to see what it's like, then I'll decide whether to go with it fully or maybe just use it as a supplement. I just want to make sure Kevin doesn't get totally bored stiff with math (which he's on his way to being) before he's even out of 1st grade! ;) Maybe something little more colorful and engaging might do the trick. :)

allisonintx
11-30-2005, 09:22 PM
We're still loving Making Math Meaningful. There are repeats on pages, but they ARE switched around. I have one child in level 4 and one in level 2.

PurpleButterfly
11-30-2005, 09:42 PM
:hug Reminds me of getting to attend the hs convention with you! :hearts

We're pretty much sticking to math games (you know we love Muggins) and lots of manipulatives. Did you happen to pick up Dr. Viirginia's homemade math dice games at the convention? They have been an amazing and highly enjoyable tool for the whole family!

http://www.homemathhelp.com/

Also, Didax has a terrific bargain basement sale with some excellent math games we picked up for Christmas:

http://www.didax.com/shop/searchresults.cfm/CategoryID/1.cfm

(Check out the deals on Captive Dice and Galaxy Math!)

I really admire the way you are willing to be so flexible for your ds! :tu

Piper2
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Kym! And, BTW, :wb

Yeah, I remember the convention, but I didn't look at anything or go to any workshops specifically math-related. I just loved the way you are so flexible and inventive with your ds (and thank you for the Cuisenaire Rods, too, if I forgot to say so earlier :O)

DH bought Kevin some math puzzles a few weeks ago, and he'd rather play with those than do math anyday, which we do sometimes. It's just that I need something more structured and laid out or else, I'd just drop math altogether. :hiding And I've read where MUS is really good for some kids with ADD because there are no extra graphics or anything to distract them, but Kevin seems to need at least some colors and pictures to keep his attention or else he just goes looking for distractions. ;)

Speaking of the convention, though, we're planning on going back next year -- but I was wondering if you would want to, with a newborn and everything (not that you'd be the only slinging mama there ;)). Kevin is still talking about wanting to meet Nemo. :)

MagnoliaMommy
12-01-2005, 09:17 AM
We're still loving Making Math Meaningful. There are repeats on pages, but they ARE switched around. I have one child in level 4 and one in level 2.

Glad to hear a recommendation for this one! It is the program we have chosen to use with ds when he is ready. :tu

PurpleButterfly
12-01-2005, 09:44 AM
We'd love to meet you there, and I'm actually really excited about showing off my slinging babe at a hs convention! I know Nemo would love to meet Kevin, too! :highfive We went to the MUS workshop but neither of us seemed to "get it". And I was worried that some of it would get confusing (can't remember the terms but something like "twentytens"?). :/ I don't like anything that seems like work. :O

Since he likes the puzzles and you like the structure, do you think maybe you could give yourself the structure through planning somehow? I also love structure but not in what we do, only in my outline and plans. I have a ton of stuff but have a hard time just being spontaneous with it. I do best when I sit down with a cuppa and my keyboard and outline a week's worth of daily plans. (I generally do my Sunday School planning at the same time while my brain is activated. :giggle ) I don't put time frames on anything, but I do like a nice little list. Sometimes we follow it, lots of times we don't. :shrug But I feel more like I'm doing a good job if I have a master outline to guide me. :tu Otherwise, it's easy for me to end up kind of lolling around and neither of us getting much accomplished (tho those days are fun, too. :wink )

Here's our outline from a few weeks ago to give you an idea. Two of the days we ended up hanging out with friends much longer and at the library almost the whole day, and out to dinner rather than my plan of incorporating a math lesson into it. Another day we woke up late and ate brekkie in the car on the run while listening to disco. One afternoon we decided to watch some silly shows on TV with mugs of hot chocolate in front of the fireplace. :scarf It's just an outline to make me feel better and to help guide our days when I'm feeling stumped. ;)

Piper2
12-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Sounds like you guys have lots of fun! :tu One problem we have here is, I don't have a vehicle during the day, and we don't live close enough to anyplace to safely walk anywhere. Otherwise, I'd love to go out to lunch or to the store or the library. We do follow a regular order of subjects every day -- we just don't start at the same time everyday.

As for MUS getting confusing, I think we talked about that a little bit at the convention. Kevin learned the "onetys" ("onety-one"=11, "onety-two" = 12, etc.) and didn't have any problem going back and forth between that and the "teens".

PurpleButterfly
12-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you guys have lots of fun! :tu One problem we have here is, I don't have a vehicle during the day, and we don't live close enough to anyplace to safely walk anywhere. Otherwise, I'd love to go out to lunch or to the store or the library.

:hug That must be really hard! I wish we lived closer! :hugheart

We do follow a regular order of subjects every day -- we just don't start at the same time everyday.

We don't either; depends when we get to sleep the night before. :shifty But it sounds like you're already got your planning needs in order. :tu Here I thought I was going to bring a big solution to the table. :O

As for MUS getting confusing, I think we talked about that a little bit at the convention. Kevin learned the "onetys" ("onety-one"=11, "onety-two" = 12, etc.) and didn't have any problem going back and forth between that and the "teens".
Oh, you know I remember that now. :) Kevin has much better reasoning abilities than I do! :yes

Miss Priss
12-06-2005, 09:10 PM
And I've read where MUS is really good for some kids with ADD because there are no extra graphics or anything to distract them, but Kevin seems to need at least some colors and pictures to keep his attention or else he just goes looking for distractions.

This is exactly why we switched from MUS. My adhd'er just could not stay focused on it. We switched to BJU and the excitement of the pages does help- but BJU is definitely full of busy work. I just start the problems I want her to do. One BJU lesson is a full front and back page of problems, of course it is written for a school atmosphere.

Piper2
12-07-2005, 09:36 AM
And I've read where MUS is really good for some kids with ADD because there are no extra graphics or anything to distract them, but Kevin seems to need at least some colors and pictures to keep his attention or else he just goes looking for distractions.

This is exactly why we switched from MUS. My adhd'er just could not stay focused on it.

Oh, good...so I'm not alone in this (it kinda didn't make sense, considering "conventional" wisdom, KWIM?). :phew

We switched to BJU and the excitement of the pages does help- but BJU is definitely full of busy work. I just start the problems I want her to do. One BJU lesson is a full front and back page of problems, of course it is written for a school atmosphere.

I think sometimes Kevin actually likes busy work...it's easy, most of the time. ;) We got the curriculum a couple of days ago, and I still need to sit down and figure out exactly what parts we're going to do, since some things he's already covered and I want to be finished with it in the spring. We're looking forward to it. :)

Miss Priss
12-07-2005, 09:38 AM
oops, I meant to say I *star* the problems I want her to do, not *start* them. If I was doing that, no wonder she likes it better than MUS. :giggle

Piper2
12-07-2005, 11:40 AM
oops, I meant to say I *star* the problems I want her to do, not *start* them. If I was doing that, no wonder she likes it better than MUS. :giggle

Oh, that makes sense, too. I just thought you meant you started her with the problems you wanted her to do and skipped the others. ;)

This Busy Mom
12-07-2005, 09:37 PM
I think (ok... I'm pretty sure just haven't done any formal testing) that my dd would be considered having ADD.

I use a combination of things with her... we rotate through Singapore, Miquon (she likes this and asks for it), and the Activities for the Al Abacus from http://www.alabacus.com/ . It's the older program... there's the teacher's manual and then the book with pages I have to copy (not a big deal for me but I know for others it is). I also have their math games book, but we don't get it out much.... she and I both have a hard enough time staying on track without breaking out games midday. She was really, really struggling with math last year. This year, she's not... She just started Level 2A of Singapore.

SueQ
12-10-2005, 05:27 AM
We do MMM and love it! You do have to introduce telling time and skip counting on your own, though. We just add those things into our everyday life and ds is learning to tell time pretty much on his own anyway! :lol