PDA

View Full Version : I will be joining you pretty soon!

CindyLou3
11-29-2005, 07:05 AM
I am so excited, Dh has finally agreed to let me homeschool!!! Right now we are in part-time private part-time homeschool. Ideally I love the school but it is just to much. I have to work more hours to pay for the school then homeshcool on Tuesdays and Thursdays and try to keep house and up with three children 5 and under I am going nuts. But dh has seen the work I do with ds and how far he has come. I am just so looking forward to it next year to have my own schedule and no pressure..... Anyway right know we are using saxon phonics and math, not sure if I am going to continue with that next year or not. What are your favorites?

erinee
11-29-2005, 07:48 AM
I use Miquon. I love that it teaches kids that there is more than one way of working a math problem. I am seeing Zach really *get* the concepts, not just memorizing facts. It's a very different approach, but it works.

Mommyo6
11-29-2005, 01:18 PM
What grades will you be doing? Kindergarten only, First too?That would help us advise you on favorite curricula better. And haey if your excited satart after Christmas. You don't have to wait itll next year! Fro ealry phonics I love Explode the Code, cheap, simple and never fails. But it doesn't have a lot of instructions so you have to be pretty confident of yoru phonics. I don't like Saxon math for home school little ones, too time consuming for multiple children.

For early yeasr I keep it really simple and inexpensive and just do lots of storybook reading, and exploring of their current interests. Workbooks from Sams and Walmart do the job as well as fancy curriculums. MCP math is cheap and gets it done. Spend your money on lost of good story books, like a year of Sonlight. And read, read, read! Italic handwriting is easy and inexpensive and give them nice neat writing with an easy transition to cursive.

CindyLou3
11-29-2005, 04:08 PM
We will be doing First grade next year with ds. My dd will be four and wants to learn to read so I may take advantage of that and work on that some. Saxon is very hands on we are doing First Grade this year for math and it seems very time consuming, sometimes we have to break it up.