PDA

View Full Version : If he likes using a number line better...

Piper2
11-28-2005, 12:27 PM
This may just be because I haven't worked hard enough to solidify his skills using the blocks (we use Math-U-See), but lately, Kevin's been doing a lot of addition and subtraction in his head and not using the blocks so much. The problem with that, though, has been that he's apparently not always able to "visualize" things accurately. So today I pulled out a big number line I bought at Rainbow Resource a couple of years ago (I learned addition and subtraction in 1st grade using a number line), and he picked up on it immediately and loved it.

So my question is, we're almost finished with MUS Alpha (just started lesson 22 of 30 today), so we'll be needing a new book before the end of the school year. Should we try a different, more traditional curriculum that doesn't use blocks, or since we've been doing MUS for the past almost 3 years, just go on to Beta?

We use Christian Liberty for all the other subjects. Anybody familiar with the math curriculum they use for 1st-2nd grade? It would be rather convenient to get everything from one place.

Mommyo6
11-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm not familiar with CL math books, my SIL disliked them that is all I can remember. But if your son likes the number lines...then go for it! wahtever works is what I say! Some of mine have and eventually they transition out of it. If I remember right Bob Jones math books use a lot of number lines.My son used 'Tools" for math till he was 13 and I really worried about him, but now he is entering collge on scholarships with not problems. So I relaxed with the others. If it helps them they get to use it as long as they want. (With encouragement now and then to try on their own)