PDA

View Full Version : SOTW and CM

bluedotsmom
11-25-2005, 06:02 AM
So, can I use SOTW and incorporate it into a CM-esque education (a la Amblesideonline?)

I've heard really good things about SOTW.

TIA

Leslie
11-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I haven't seen all of the SOTW volumes, but I'd guess that you can use them in a CM education, lots of people do. I don't think you'd want to use them in an Ambleside education, though, since you'd have to take something else out to fit them in.

Joanne
11-25-2005, 04:23 PM
So, can I use SOTW and incorporate it into a CM-esque education (a la Amblesideonline?)

I've heard really good things about SOTW.

I just wanted to clarify. "Charlotte Mason" refers to an educator and a philosophy of education.

"Ambelside" is one interpretation of what CM did in her school.

So, you can use CM techniques with almost any literature rich homeschool. But Ambelside refers to a specific curriculum.

bluedotsmom
11-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. That's why I asked about CM-esque :mrgreen I know Ambleside is one way of applying her methods/theories and I appreciate having it as a starting point.

I'm looking at Ambleside because something 'online' might get my dh motivated (I went back to work full-time in June and hs'ing is really hard right now.) It's also free (at least the guides and schedules)

More thoughts on SOTW with regards to CM or just in general???

Leslie
11-26-2005, 04:50 PM
I read from a lot of people using SOTW with CM, or with AO. The common thread seems to be that those whose primary concern is using a book written specifically for Christians prefer SOTW, and those whose primary concern is literary style prefer something like A Child's History of the World. I only have Volume 4 of SOTW, so I haven't seen the whole series. But the earlier volumes, from what I've heard, are written down to primary grades in a way that makes them more simplistic than some classic books.

Surely somebody here has them and is using them successfully and can give you more information. They are very popular.

bluedotsmom
11-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Leslie, thanks!
I was looking through the AO stuff last night and saw the Child's History of the World listed. Your description is much better than what I found of the two.

I know there have been discussions of SOTW here, I'll have to search.

Mamatoto
11-27-2005, 03:50 PM
What is SOTW, I can't think of what that is at the moment. :scratch

Leslie
11-27-2005, 04:55 PM
The Story of the World, the history series by Well-Trained Mind author Susan Wise Bauer.