PDA

View Full Version : Possible flood of new homeschoolers in my county

Piper2
11-21-2005, 09:31 AM
One of the couples in our Sunday School class asked for prayer for beginning homeschooling their daughter. A couple of weeks ago (they were out last week), the mother was telling us about a situation at their daughter's school (she's in high school, but I'm not sure what grade) they were going to talk to the principal about. They didn't got into details, but it involved a boy who said something was an "accident", when it was apparently clear it wasn't. :scratch Anyway, apparently the school's handling of it wasn't satisfactory, so they pulled their daughter out. The mother said yesterday that no questions were asked -- they turned in her books and were told that the attendance officer would be getting in contact with them (she wasn't in her office at the time), and get this...they were the top name on the 2nd page of a list of students being pulled out of that school! :eyebrow This is a fairly new school, if I'm remembering correctly, and I've only heard good things about it, but apparently some people are having some serious problems with it, especially with that many people pulling their kids out this early in the school year.

I just hope I can be of some assistance to this mom, even though I'm still relatively new to homeschooling myself and have NO experience with a high schooler.

Leslie
11-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I wonder how many of those parents will really want to homeschool, though. Reacting to a bad situation by taking your kids out of school immediately might have the effect of the school correcting whatever the problem is (replace the principal?) and then I'd bet that most of those parents will return their kids to school.

Maybe with some assistance, your friend will find out that she likes homeschooling too much to ever go back, even after they fix the problem?

Piper2
11-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, of course, there's no guarantee all those parents will homeschool. Some may try to just transfer to another high school and others might enroll their kids in the local Christian school (which is basically just down the road from this high school). But if there are so many parents pulling their kids out of this particular school that the staff was just going through the process as if on auto-pilot, it's clear something isn't right somewhere. :/

So, OK, maybe we won't have a flood of new homeschoolers. But I wouldn't be surprised to see several new faces at the local homeschool group meeting in January. ;)