PDA

View Full Version : American History

ShangriLewis
11-18-2005, 02:57 PM
http://wherethelearningneverends.blogspot.com/2005/11/thanksgiving.html

So, here is my latest blog. It's about my whole American History confusion. Anyone else want to rant?

I'm such a skeptic.

I really am interested in how other countries few our history.

Singingmom
11-18-2005, 09:03 PM
It does make me mad when I think about how little I learned about true history in school. I did an American History unit with my boys last year and I learned so much more than I ever did in all my yrs of school, mainly reading good books. I'm thankful that the books like you mentioned are out there, although I know what you mean about not wanting to know what lies you've believed all this time. It gives me hope that we may be the last generation in our families to have this problem.

cobluegirl
11-19-2005, 12:18 AM
I love history growing up....I think we used Abeka during highschool...loved it. (we used CLASS and they use a variety of books from diff. companies) I wish mom had saved the books. I miss them...lol

jennifer2boys
11-19-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm glad that I was directed a couple of years ago to read two books on American History. They were "Lies my teacher told me" and " A people's history of the United States". They were very eye opening to me and made me realize how much of what I believed to be true was actually false. It has helped me to be more aware of what history I am teaching to my children. I want my children to be able to look at history and see both the good and the bad, so that they can learn from it.

joandsarah77
11-19-2005, 08:22 PM
I really am interested in how other countries few our history.

I don't know much American history at all. I can't even remember even touching on it at school, but then most of that is a haze anyways. :giggle Basicly what I know/ thought I knew, was that Colombus found America (I learned the other day he didn't?) that the first people were pilgrims who co-exsisted with the indians (celebrated by thanksgiving, to mark one year in the new country) that after that a lot of indians were basicly slauterd. That generaly it was/is? a very racist country (don't want to offend, but you did ask)You had a lot of slaves who were treated badly. That till about 1970 it was basicly an apartide with black people not alowed at certain water fountains and busses and such. Also that you had a civel war back in the 18? 17th? century to do with freeing the slaves and the north won.

Now you can tell me thats all wrong.

ShangriLewis
11-19-2005, 10:48 PM
No offense taken. That pretty much covers it. I know a little bit about Australia, but I did not learn it in school. I would love to know what you learned in school History wise.

joandsarah77
11-20-2005, 02:57 AM
I would love to know what you learned in school History wise.

Got a postage stamp handy? :rolleyes2 School I found to be a compleat bore and I hated history. Mainly boring text books and dates. But now I love it and am rediscovering it. :P~
But as for school, I guess I did learn that Captain Cook discoverd Australia in 1770, because I remember telling my mother that fact when I was in primary school. I also remember doing Ned Kelly when we did bushrangers, and something vaugly about our explorers going west. I know we did aboriganies, convicts etc, but I was probably :yawn :ex asleep! :giggle I think most of what I know wasn't from school.
When my kids are old enough to do Australian history I hope to learn a lot! and for it to be a lot more memorable and fun.

mrsramjet
11-22-2005, 02:35 AM
my dh teaches history at a christian school here and has done a unit on the rosie parks woman.
you get taught about christopher columbus and the indians being moved to reservations, slavery and the basics of the civil war (ie, that there was one).
can't remember much more than that from school. most of my impressions were from reading laura ingalls and watching historical movies.

australia has it's own grand history of racism, but it's told quite differently depending who is teaching you. i remember being taught about the tasmanian aborigines dissappearing completely due to genocide.

bush rangers were a big hit. and james cook and convicts. heaps of explorers - not much of which i can even remember. all very sad and depressing from my memory. i was much more interested in egypt and ancient greece!