PDA

View Full Version : Need help with co-op idea

Booklover
11-18-2005, 11:16 AM
We've had our last co-op class for this semester, but my friend and I need help planning something for next semester (starting half way through January). She's done a lot of science with this group (now 3-4 grade), so this fall we tried U.S. Geopgraphy (states), which wasn't very successful. The kids were antsy and it didn't grab their attention. Plus it was the end of the morning, and they had just had two classes without a lot of sitting. I'm trying to think of something fun that would involve more hands on stuff. There is no gym area, and we're talking Maine in winter, lol, so no outside games. I'm not terribly artistic, so I'm not sure an arts and crafts class would work. They have done that in the past also. The other two classes they will be getting are a class on money and 1/2 hour of recorder class. The girls suggested dance classes and the boys suggested dodge ball or learning about animals. :giggle Any ideas?

threecubs
11-18-2005, 11:48 AM
We did a neat activity yesterday at our homeschool group. One of the moms brought in a bunch of different kinds of leaves. She had two tables, each with about 4-5 different leaves, one table was deciduous, the other evergreen. The kids did leaf rubbings on pieces of paper that were about 10x3 strips. Each leaf was labeled, so you could write the name of the leaf on your rubbing. The final piece of paper was 12x3, and the top flap was folded over the strips with rubbings, then two holes were punched through the top and she had abouta 4 inch piece of a stick to attach to the holes with a rubber band. It made a cute little leaf rubbing booklet.

I hope that wasn't to confusing! LOL..she had collected maple, ivy, wild raspberry, oak, cedar, salal, sword fern, oregon grape, elderberry, and hazelnut. I imagine it would be a challenge to find leaves in January..but you could just do evergreens!

ShangriLewis
11-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Can you do some kind of Unit Study that incorporates a little bit of everything? That way you aren't just doing Science or History or Geography.

A unit study on Winter could include:
hibernation and animals that hibernate
Weather and why it snows
Trees and why they loose leaves, maple syrup and why conifers still have their needles.
Birds that are around during the winter and make birdseed feeders out of pinecones, peanut butter and birdseed.
Winter sports

And, here are a bunch more ideas!
http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/explore/winter.htm

Booklover
11-18-2005, 03:09 PM
That's a good idea. If I could just get excited about thinking about winter in the winter... :laughtears I'll put it on the list of things to think about.

ShangriLewis
11-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Ok one more to go along with the Winter theme. How about a fun game? Have everyone bring in winter clothing and give them 2 minutes to dress their teammate in as much winter clothing as possible. That would be so cute!

Aerynne
11-20-2005, 09:29 AM
What about a study of nutrition? Everybody loves to talk about food. :)