PDA

View Full Version : Its worth it, right?

ServingGod
11-17-2005, 11:11 AM
I am placing a book order tomorrow. I have debated going the library route...or buying the books. We are going with Ambleside btw. The books Im ordering are just awesome books, that I know my dc will return to time and time again through the years. Im excited about reading them again as well. The books are all books that i know my boys will love. And I think I stretch it over 2 yrs, since Im ordering all the books for yr 0 and yr1. The price for everything, including a couple things for me :O is 500$ and its free shipping. Dh says it is awesome, and lets do it, and we need a curriculum...Im just going all Scroog-ish or something. :shifty Reassure me that this is well worth it..... :nails

Singingmom
11-17-2005, 11:14 AM
It is! :) You're building a library of excellent books that you'll all enjoy for years to come. Your grandchildren will be blessed by them, too! What better thing could you spend that money on? :mrgreen

phathui5
11-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Totally. Because you're not getting a bunch of workbooks and textbooks (no offense to those who use them), you'll be able to get years of use out of them. I read my kids books now that my mom bought for me as a kid.

Leslie
11-17-2005, 03:27 PM
$500? Are you buying lots of hard-cover picture books from the Year 0 suggestions?

<<Dh says it is awesome, and lets do it, and we need a curriculum>>

Wow! If he's all for it, great! Really, it's not unreasonable for school curriculum (although I'm surprised that AO would come to that much!) and, like the others have said, they're books that you'll use for years to come. Also, if you use library books, you won't be able to savor the books leisurely over twelve weeks like you're supposed to with AO, you'll have to finish them to get them back to the library. And, if you have younger children who will be growing into them, it's really nice to have it all right there at home so that your kids have great books around the house even when you're too busy to make a trip to the library for picture books.

ServingGod
11-17-2005, 03:31 PM
$500? Are you buying lots of hard-cover picture books from the Year 0 suggestions?

Im getting Yr 0 and Yr 1...

ShangriLewis
11-18-2005, 01:10 AM
I would do it in a heartbeat! You can never have too many good books :glasses

booboo
11-20-2005, 03:06 AM
Hey,

If your dh is supportive of this, and you need a curriculum, don't sweat it! :tu We have so many books here at home from yard sales, CBD, given to us as gifts, Barnes & Noble, etc. etc. It's hard work keeping them all organized and I'm domestically challenged! :O But my kids are happy and my first grader couldn't be a more prouder bookworm!! :read :glasses

:hug :hug

This Busy Mom
11-20-2005, 10:07 PM
You should come over and see my book selection (you are welcome to come visit, btw...). It's almost embarassing :O :O .

I've never really checked out Ambleside, lol, my dh would freak if I brought more books in. I have 5 bookcases full.