PDA

View Full Version : What are you up to in November?

ShangriLewis
11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
We are still working on Acient Egypt. We will probably finish up our History Pockets this month. We are reading through Story of the World Vol.1. We have been highlighting all the things we learn about on our World Map, so we can see everything without having to do all those activity sheets. The History Pockets are enough.

We just started to learn about the Human Body, since I realized that if we aren't doing KONOS we aren't really doing any Science.

I really want to do the KONOS Honor Unit, but I'm thinking that's being put off till next year sometime.

Still using MathUSee for Gibran. Porter is still trying to read. I've got some information on some of the stuff we have found on our new blog ;)

We made a new schedule and we are really enjoying it. I guess I'll have to try and put up a pic on the blog. I divided a piece of paper in half and across the top is M-F. The top half is for school stuff and the bottom is for chores and outings. It gives us a kind of overview/checklist for our week.

We are doing Science on Tuesdays and Thursdays are for Art Appreciation, Art History and Poetry. The other days are for History and the basics. Gibran is really enjoying breaking everything up and is working much harder and his attitude has definitley improved.

Booklover
11-16-2005, 06:20 AM
We are still working through Story of the World 3; only six more chapters :clap, so hopefully I can order SOTW 4 over Christmas/baby break. The Activity book is still listed as not in yet at Amazon with a publication date of 12/28.

I need to get back to Science; we haven't done any in about a month.

Mostly we're just continuing on. I was planning on reading about Saints during November, but we've only read about one :doh. And planning Advent, since I got most of my Advent resoources halfway through last year. :O

MagnoliaMommy
11-16-2005, 09:11 AM
We are learning about the weather this month. Ds is really enjoying playing with his weather wheel...especially since we have been having such crazy weather! We are making a cotton ball cloud and a rainstick (rice filled paper towel tube ;)) today. :)
Ds is writing his name now. He is flying through his HWOT Pre-K book and is leaving little "notes" all over the house. One day he found my sticky notes and posted signs all over the house. It was cute.
He is singing the alphabet (a big step for him!) and now we are working on songs and rhymes. We have cloud counters (numbered and laminated clouds) for this month and he is also learning to identify coins. Nickels and dimes are tricky. ;)
We are having so much fun. :mrgreen

Joanne
11-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Us now......

http://happyhomeschooler.blog-city.com/speaking_of_school.htm

Stonebeck Farm
11-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Devotions: We are learning Psalm 121. We just finished learning v1 and 2 of the hymn We Gather Together and now are learning Come Ye Thankful People Come. Working thought our devotions book. Reading through the DK Illustrated Family Bible at lunch and a story bible ar bedtime.

Reading: Reading Made Easy (each child is at a different lesson- I wasn't planning to teach my three year old but she really wanted to try it and demonstrates the ability to do it)

Handwriting: Practicing shapes and strokes

Science: playing the Bug Game and Into the Forest- Reaading Pocketsful of Pinecone together

History: reading stories about thanksgiving- going to start "Pioneer Thanksgiving" today

Math: playing with dice, counting (playing board games requiring counting- focus on 10-20) using Developing Logic Primary book.

Sign Language: signs to the songs and letters of alphabet

Lots of reading picture and chapter books.

Winkie
11-17-2005, 09:13 PM
The first week we studied insects. We set up an ant farm that my 5yo loved, although the ants didn't tunnel the way I thought they would. :giggle

Then we moved on to studying goats. We went to our city zoo, which includes a petting zoo with goats. We also taste tested goat milk vs. cow milk.

This week we're learning about cows. Today we went to a farm even though it was :shiver 30 degrees! :shiver since dh had the day off. We looked like this: :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf (love those emoticons!) Since we were the only people there, my boys got to go in where the cows were being milked. The man had them help feed the cows. Then he let them go in the hen house & get the eggs, which they took to another barn & fed to the pigs. They were so thrilled!

We'll take off for Thanksgiving since we have houseguests coming, and then we'll do 1-2 wks on horses which will wrap up our farm animal focus.

So far my highlight was when my 3yo was looking through "The Cow Who Wouldn't Come Down". I hadn't read the story to them yet, but in it a woman sews a life-size stuffed cow (to entice her flying cow to come down. of course!). Asher saw the picture of her with the stuffed cow & comes running to me with the book, "Mama, mama -- an idol!" :laughtears :laughtears Cracked me up! I guess he's been paying attention those Bible stories. :mrgreen

MagnoliaMommy
11-18-2005, 05:06 AM
.So far my highlight was when my 3yo was looking through "The Cow Who Wouldn't Come Down". I hadn't read the story to them yet, but in it a woman sews a life-size stuffed cow (to entice her flying cow to come down. of course!). Asher saw the picture of her with the stuffed cow & comes running to me with the book, "Mama, mama -- an idol!" :laughtears :laughtears Cracked me up! I guess he's been paying attention those Bible stories. :mrgreen

:roll
That is so funny!

SandKsmama
11-18-2005, 08:23 AM
So far this month...
4th grader has finished up the US unit and is started on a 2 week study of Mexico. Included in that is a study of deserts for science, and some experiments related.
She's continuing through Math-U-See Beta - she's going to be finshed with it by Christmas break, and will start on the next level in January!
Continuing on through A Reason for Spelling and Handwriting...I'm not jazzed about either one of those, but she loves them. :-)
Kinda struggling with Latina Christiana...it's more of MY struggle b/c I don't know the first thing about Latin, so I'm not totally excited about it. I'm wishing at this point that I had spent the money to get the lessons on DVD - we both could have benefitted from a video "teacher".
Reading TONS of books - she's loving Beverly Cleary right now, and is plowing through all the Ramona, Henry Huggins, and Mouse books.

Kindergartner has done a unit on Turtles, one on the senses, and we're doing Dinosaurs this week. We're having tons of fun, and he is SO excited about learning to sound out syllables and words.

I just finshed reading The Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe to both of them in anticipation of seeing the movie when it comes out in Dec.

Amanda