PDA

View Full Version : curriculums for special needs kids?

booboo
11-12-2005, 05:29 PM
This was suggested at the last homeschool group support meeting. Being a newbie hs'er, I took over the conversation again but they were incredibly nice about it. :heart :heart :heart They told me I need to really learn how a child with Asperger's can learn better, that it's okay to skip pages in the books or phonics words that take too long for my dd to get. But they also suggested finding a curriculum that could better suit my dd's needs. Anybody out there know of anything? PM's are welcome.

Thanks.

Leslie
11-12-2005, 07:39 PM
This is a page by a Charlotte Mason homeschooling mom whose child has Asperger's. She has links and support groups listed on her page. Maybe it will have something helpful.
"ideas for people interested in homeschooling autistic children and for people supporting them."
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Etammyglaser798/authome.html

Quietspirit
11-15-2005, 10:19 AM
I've loved Oak Meadow for my child with Asperger's. I use Sequential Spelling as well and it is fantastic.

booboo
11-15-2005, 12:28 PM
I checked out the Tammy Glaser site and it's very cool! I signed up with the special needs hs group which is a Christian group. Awesome!
I'll try checking out Oak Meadow as well.

I'm not so sure about Charlotte Mason curriculum but will check more into it. I'd like to do something I can teach both at the same time (like a unit study if possible) but I'm so confused right now. My little one doesn't take well to my reading to her. She doesn't get it so easily.

Thanks for your responses!!! :clap

Mamatoto
11-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Enki

I am definitely doing Waldorf hs with my Aspie dd. The creative natural teaching is what she needs. :candle

Quietspirit
11-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I was just checking out your learning books, snugglemama! They look wonderful. :) I think I'm going to order the infant/toddler one :)

ShangriLewis
11-19-2005, 11:47 AM
There is now a Homeschooling with Aspergers book out. Do you need a link? I'm in the waiting line at the library for it. I was going to put it off for awhile, but someone wants to know if it's good or not.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1843107619/002-1524163-1704010?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Mamatoto
11-19-2005, 11:56 AM
There is now a Homeschooling with Aspergers book out.

Oh, I read that...it was a few months ago now... :think..it was good, not a curriculum at all, though. Mostly reasons that she hs'ed her son.

I was just checking out your learning books, snugglemama! They look wonderful. happy smile I think I'm going to order the infant/toddler one happy smile

:tu Awesome!

Here's an Enki link I found:
http://www.enkieducation.org/html/homeschool-curriculum.htm

ShangriLewis
11-19-2005, 12:37 PM
I was hoping it had suggestions to help your child. I would imagine that you can't just use a package of curriculum. That you need to work out a special program.

I think Waldorf would be really wonderful!

I suppose it depends on how extreme the special need is. Does that make sense? I'm not sure it sounds very nice :shrug

I'm not sure what all you are dealing with. Gibran is "trying" and "different". He has a lot of Asperger's traits, but in the past his therapist said he was not Aspergers. His new Physical Therapist thinks it could be a possibility and would explain a lot of his difficulties.

Gibran really liked KONOS. But, we weren't terribly structured and Gibran got to pick the units and things he would like to do. He doesn't like to have too much structured learning during the day. He likes structure, but he likes to focus on one subject instead of doing something new every hour. Tuesday is Science Day and Thursday is The Arts. I give him quite a bit of say so in his learning choices. He helped me make up a new schedule. His behavior is much better when he has more of a schedule. Right now we are doing more of a Classical Slant and trying to work in more studies of the Holidays and Seasons. I've considered using Waldorf, but I just don't have the $$. Our library has all of the Story of the World stuff and I use lots of library books. We use MathUSee and Gibran likes it because he can see and feel it. We tried a workbook approach and that bombed big time.

I have no idea if that's helpful at all.

booboo
11-20-2005, 03:09 AM
Thanks again everybody for your responses! I will look into Waldorf as well and that book about homeschooling an Aspie child. :heart

You guys are amazing!