PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your stroller? Would you sling 2?

BornFreeBaby
11-10-2005, 01:28 AM
My mil was going to get me a brand new carseat/stroller "system", which usually has these huge strollers, but I told her I wouldn't need it for the new baby because I was going to sling him/her. :P

Do you even use your stroller?

How many of you sling your toddler AND infant at the same time? Or do you use one stroller for the bigger one, and the sling for the baby? Just curious!

MarynMunchkins
11-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Mine aren't exactly toddlers and babies anymore, but when Colin was born, I used a stroller and a sling. Colin *usually* stayed in the sling, but I swapped kids around when someone wasn't cooperating. :)

kris10s
11-10-2005, 06:42 AM
We use an umbrella stroller to keep our DD contained and strapped in while she watches TV. We rarely use either stroller out, but I might more with two (sling babe, push toddler.)

Booklover
11-10-2005, 07:22 AM
I use a stroller mostly at the library, because I can't bend down and look at books easily with a sling. And I can't carry the monster bag of books I always seem to end up with. :giggle I just wish I could afford a stroller whose basket held more that 10lbs.

LauraK
11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I use a stroller. I love strollers because sometimes they are the only way to get my babies to sleep. Also, with my first I would take really long walks and I preferred a stroller sometimes and she would often fall asleep better in the stroller. Also. picture yourself in a public restroom with two. I once had to change dd#1s diaper while dd#2 was in sling it was horrible and led to my baby being kicked after that I brought my little stroller even if baby was mostly in a sling. I have two strollers one a graco citi-light and the other a phil and teds Kiwi 2 with the attachment to make it a double. I borrowed a Graco duo glide and never really liked that one.

cannuke
11-10-2005, 06:26 PM
I do use a stroller, but mostly if I'm at the mall or something and I *usually* remember to take the sling, b/c DS invariably prefers it when I don't have it. :giggle The stroller gives me somewhere to put other stuff.

BeckaBlue
11-10-2005, 06:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jonnbecka/58a748f8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jonnbecka/d93acc0d.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/jonnbecka/100_0564.jpg

well...that somes that up....

i use a stroller for long shoppinng trips w/o carts or if abs is asleep on occasion, mostly though abs walk and nik slings

Lantern Light Mama
11-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Becka,

I think id fall right over doing that! lol! Thats too cute! I sling 1. and number two rides in a stroller. For big shopping trips I take the pram with kiddy board and a sling. :O

Dana Joy
11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
you what i used when i had too little ones was the stroller with the step on back- not as bulky as a double stroller, but it had a spot for big kid to hitch a ride- or if your slinging the babe sarah could sit in it. http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=414755&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=414755&cm_ven=Bizrate&cm_ite=OSA
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/danalyn1972/11990-v.jpg
ok and as i searched for the "sit and stand stroller" i liked i found this- too cute- impractical- but cute
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/danalyn1972/StrolliRiderLG.jpg

BeckaBlue
11-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I have a sit-n-stand too for our stroller :tu

greenemama
11-10-2005, 07:20 PM
i've seen mamas toting a toddler in an ergo and an infant in a sling or pouch. if you're uncomfortable with the sling's back carry you might want to try the ergo -- it seems more trustworthy. :grin

milkmommy
11-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Okay I'll be honest I love my sling we still use it even at three years old but I absoutly loved/ love the stroller :shrug I can't sling for long It hurts my shoulder and back and makes me feel hot and irritated. I could sling forever as a newborn till about 4/5 months but after that our stroller got tons and tons of use. I'd still not give up my sling and would certainly sling two.. but I won't turn down a great stroller system eaither.

Deanna

kris10s
11-10-2005, 07:30 PM
I HATE systems because they are so big -- maybe see if she'll buy you a carseat and a NICE umbrella stroller (Maclaren, etc.)? Then you would have a place for older DD to be at any time while you sling the babe and don't have to sacrifice your entire trunk.

milkmommy
11-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I HATE systems because they are so big -- maybe see if she'll buy you a carseat and a NICE umbrella stroller (Maclaren, etc.)? Then you would have a place for older DD to be at any time while you sling the babe and don't have to sacrifice your entire trunk.

Deffiently one thing I hate about them... :neutral

Deanna

BornFreeBaby
11-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Becka! You are my girl! I think this will probably be me when my new one is born! I like the idea of the ergo- if only dd would get on my back- she loves the hip carry, but when I try to scooch her to my back she flips out. :hissyfit

ooooo thanks dana. I will keep that one in mind.

I hate big stroller systems too- way too bulky. I think that I may have mil get me a nice maclaren like you mentioned, kris

purplerose
11-10-2005, 07:40 PM
:nak
WELL, I USE BOTH. I HAVE A DOUBLE STROLLER THAT I USE FOR MY 2 AND 3YO AND SLING THE BABY! :mrgreen

MamaCare
11-10-2005, 08:05 PM

I have (& love) a Combi Ultra Savvy stroller that is small and light, but still accomodates a carseat (for when Giselle falls asleep in it and I want to keep her that way!) However, Combi's customer service is sorely lacking, as I learned dealing with them (& the BBB) for months to replace my old one. (The older models had a sticky locking mechanism, the new design solved the problem, but they didn't want to repair or replace for me :mad) I also have a New Native that I loved when Gigi was tiny (and we got all the "What do you have in there?" comments when we slung her in Miami) and now use a ring sling mostly... though we also occasionally use the Tough Traveler backpack. (And I did have a Snugli, too... can you say overkill?)
Carrie

LauraK
11-10-2005, 08:26 PM
carrie- do not feel bad about overkill. At one pont in time I had, about 7 baby carriers, a jogging stroller, a double stroller and my citi-lite stroller. I started selling things off at that point but then with the money I bought a bike trailer with a stroller conversion kit!!! So I am pretty bad.

BeckaBlue
11-10-2005, 08:47 PM
ok, ill be honest about overkill, i currently own a single stroller, a backpack/stroller combo, the sit n stand stroller, 3 wise woman slings, 4 ring slings i made one pouch sling i made, a wrap i made, and 2 fisher pice perfect support carriers. within this summer I also had another sling by me, a water wws, a baby bjorn, a snuggli, a double stroller, and another fisher price perfect support w/ sling attatchment (it was the only front pack i liked with my kids, can't tell, can ya?). so talk about overkill, eh?

GodisGood
11-10-2005, 08:52 PM
One is usually trotting next to the stroller, one is in the stroller and one is in the sling. However, when I'm out with the two youngest, it's becoming more and more of #3 in the stroller and #2 trotting. I get bothered too at times with the sling.

Close2MyHeart
11-11-2005, 05:50 AM
I usually have the boys in the stroller and Karah in the sling. :) IF we were to have another I'm not sure what I'd do... probably let Michael walk or ride his bike depending on where we were at, have Karah and NJ in the stroller and baby in the sling... not sure. :think

Lady TS
11-11-2005, 06:14 AM
I haven't gone too many places other than Walmart since dd was born. We went to the Antique Machinery Show/fair but I had lots of family with me to help with the kids. Dd was in a sling and ds2 was in a stroller.

I have done the one kid in the sling, one in the stroller thing.

If you go with a double stroller, make sure it is easy to push when the kids are in it. Mine is a Cosco one my SIL got me and I only rarely used it because it is so hard to push with my kids in it! Even on hard flat surfaces! I quit using it because I just couldn't do it anymore.

If we all go to the library, ds1 walks, ds2 rides in the stroller because then I can keep track of him, and dd goes in the sling. Don't get to look much and it's hard to do so we don't all go very often...

Lantern Light Mama
11-11-2005, 07:25 PM
leave it to me to mispell nearly everything I was typing.

ArmsOfLove
11-11-2005, 07:57 PM
I will sling the twins, but I have had my toddlers ride or walk. And I often have the twins in the stroller also--they are young but it's double the weight :shifty At the very least I've always used the stroller to carry the bags and such :)

mwwr
11-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Strollers are great to have when your diaper bag weighs more than the baby. How did I ever get so much stuff? Seriously, though, I bought a new carseat for this baby, knowing I would never need more than my umbrella stroller... heee heee... after my c-sec, I had to buy the matching stroller so I could go for walks when I could barely carry the baby. Now, I use it for carrying tired toddler, sleeping baby (cuz what dc#5 EVER gets an uninterrupted nap?!!), or whatever luggage I can't unload on the big kids. Just goes to prove the LLL motto: "Every baby is a new beginning." And, oh my, strollers have come a looong way in the last 11 years. But my slings are always handy, cause they just do so much that I feel like a superhero when I use them :mrgreen

BornFreeBaby
11-12-2005, 08:55 AM
I don't like double strollers very much because they are even more big and bulky. I already have a double jogger (which is great for excercise and walking around the neighborhood) but its not useful anywhere else; that thing doesn't even fit through the doorwway. I think that I will ask for a nice light-weight stroller and get a (few) new slings to wear the baby and have dd in the stroller if she doesn't want to walk.
I don't know if I could sling both of them at the same time that seems :phew like a workout!

TestifyToLove
12-05-2005, 03:13 PM
I have a Maclaren double stroller. Its super lightweight, easy to manuever and fits in a normal doorway. I bought it this summer when I discovered that my toddler and preschooler were getting way to heavy to pack around. I was adding another preschooler with medical issues and I wasn't sure what his duration for walking was going to be. The Maclarens are rated to 55lb per child which gives him a couple more years if he needs the stroller.

I almost always travel with a carrier of some sort in the van. I've really, really downsized. But, I pretty much keep my Ergo permenantly in the van in case of emergency. The stroller is in the van as well about 90% of the time. In a pinch, I can pack the toddler and strap the 2 preschoolers. Normally, I strap the youngest 2 in and the older 3 walk. My problem is that my smallest child right now is about 32 pounds, 3 years old and HUGE. My back can't take carrying her for long durations anymore. And, it can't take packing the boys either.

When I had a baby, a young toddler and a preschooler, I always traveled with a single stroller and 2 carriers. Never knew who was going to need carried or who might want to have a sit. There were lots of times when I was packing the baby and toddler on me and the preschooler in the stroller. (Or Dh and I both carried one and preschooler in stroller if he was along too.)

Mostly, I think its good to have options. Its better to have too many options you don't use than crying children you cannot accomodate because you don't have what you need with you for the trip.

cro
12-13-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm also in the anti-travel-system camp. Too bulky and impractical - esp w/ a big baby who'll outgrow the infant carrier too soon!

I sling the baby and push my toddler in an umbrella stroller. Or he walks on a "leash" (it's cute - a monkey-shaped backpack/harness w/ a long tail for the leash). I also have a sit & stand stroller, but I only use that for walks around the neighborhood. It's too much for my tiny car. So the umbrella stroller and 1 of my slings have a permanent place in the car.